Posted to rec.food.cooking
Catmandy (Sheryl) Catmandy (Sheryl) is offline

Default Cleaning stainless steel pots

On Feb 24, 12:40*pm, Art Todesco > wrote:
> Well, maybe *a bit off topic, maybe not. *I have a nice, heavy new 2
> quart saucier and have been keeping it bright and shinny, so I
> thought. *But, now after a year or so, I've noticed the outside is
> turning sort of goldish color. *The inside is a brushed stainless,
> but the outside is polished stainless steel. *Obviously the gold
> color is a buildup of tiny grease splashes that apparently didn't
> come off during regular cleaning. *Is there a good way to remove
> this? *I've heard applying ammonia and putting the pot in a tight
> plastic bag overnight. *Will this really work? * Thanks.

I have had good luck using Comet's gel cleanser with bleach on the
outside of a stainless pan covered in crud. It's next to Soft Scrub
brand products, usually, but it's made by Comet. It has a green label.
(Might also be next to Comet's powder cleanser). Dawn Power Dissolver
also works nicely... hard to find lately, can't remember where I
picked it up last. Not all of my local markets carry it any longer.