Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Good website for rating/reviewing cooking appliances?

In article . com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Partly true. The key difference between true professional equipment and
> professional style equipment is that the true professional equipment
> isn't generally insulated and won't meet residential fire codes with
> flammable cabinetry in close proximity. Professional style equipment
> will be insulated to allow flammable cabinetry to surround it.
>
> True professional equipment typically has higher gas or electric
> requirements than what is available in most homes and as a result can't
> operate in a typical residential environment without electric or gas
> service upgrades. Professional style equipment will be designed to fit
> within residential limitations and as a result usually won't have the
> BTU capacity of true professional units, even if they look cosmetically
> similar.
>
> The bottom line is that the professional style appliances are generally
> comparable performance wise to the upper end normal residential
> appliances and the difference is mostly cosmetic and of course the
> expensive foofy brand nameplate. Where the real differences are is
> between the low end appliances and the upper end appliances. Don't
> expect much from a $500 range, but also don't expect to find much
> functional difference between a $2k range and a $4k range.

Consumer Reports generally rates those "professional style" stoves, as
you call them, fairly poorly, even though they cost much more. Some
people don't like Consumer Reports, but I like the fact that they don't
just tell you what they recommend, but also detail about why.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA