Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good website for rating/reviewing cooking appliances?

I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
equipment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" wrote:

>I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
>whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
>equipment.

Epinions.com is pretty good with customer reviews over a broad range.
But you're not really looking for a review, by needing to know if "if
it's worth it" you're wanting someone do make the decision for you
because you have no spine where spending mony is concerned. Btw,
there's a huge difference between "professional" and "professional
style". Hardly anyone puts true professional [commercial] equipment
in their home... 99% choose professional style (looks like).
Professional style performs no better than ordinary models, just makes
folks with more dollars than brain cells feel like they know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Btw,
> there's a huge difference between "professional" and "professional
> style". Hardly anyone puts true professional [commercial] equipment
> in their home... 99% choose professional style (looks like).
> Professional style performs no better than ordinary models, just makes
> folks with more dollars than brain cells feel like they know.

Partly true. The key difference between true professional equipment and
professional style equipment is that the true professional equipment
isn't generally insulated and won't meet residential fire codes with
flammable cabinetry in close proximity. Professional style equipment
will be insulated to allow flammable cabinetry to surround it.

True professional equipment typically has higher gas or electric
requirements than what is available in most homes and as a result can't
operate in a typical residential environment without electric or gas
service upgrades. Professional style equipment will be designed to fit
within residential limitations and as a result usually won't have the
BTU capacity of true professional units, even if they look cosmetically
similar.

The bottom line is that the professional style appliances are generally
comparable performance wise to the upper end normal residential
appliances and the difference is mostly cosmetic and of course the
expensive foofy brand nameplate. Where the real differences are is
between the low end appliances and the upper end appliances. Don't
expect much from a $500 range, but also don't expect to find much
functional difference between a $2k range and a $4k range.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message ...
|I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
| whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
| equipment.

You might find the type of info you are after on this:
http://www.consumersearch.com

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Partly true. The key difference between true professional equipment and
> professional style equipment is that the true professional equipment
> isn't generally insulated and won't meet residential fire codes with
> flammable cabinetry in close proximity. Professional style equipment
> will be insulated to allow flammable cabinetry to surround it.
>
> True professional equipment typically has higher gas or electric
> requirements than what is available in most homes and as a result can't
> operate in a typical residential environment without electric or gas
> service upgrades. Professional style equipment will be designed to fit
> within residential limitations and as a result usually won't have the
> BTU capacity of true professional units, even if they look cosmetically
> similar.
>
> The bottom line is that the professional style appliances are generally
> comparable performance wise to the upper end normal residential
> appliances and the difference is mostly cosmetic and of course the
> expensive foofy brand nameplate. Where the real differences are is
> between the low end appliances and the upper end appliances. Don't
> expect much from a $500 range, but also don't expect to find much
> functional difference between a $2k range and a $4k range.

Consumer Reports generally rates those "professional style" stoves, as
you call them, fairly poorly, even though they cost much more. Some
people don't like Consumer Reports, but I like the fact that they don't
just tell you what they recommend, but also detail about why.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Janet" wrote:
>>
>> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like
>> to know whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the
>> "professional" equipment.

> Epinions.com is pretty good with customer reviews over a broad range.
> But you're not really looking for a review, by needing to know if "if
> it's worth it" you're wanting someone do make the decision for you
> because you have no spine where spending mony is concerned.

Go **** yourself. I've had it with kneejerk hostility from big egos with
little brains and less manners

You know nothing about me, you ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

<snip>

> The key difference between true professional equipment
> and professional style equipment is that the true professional
> equipment isn't generally insulated and won't meet residential fire
> codes with flammable cabinetry in close proximity. Professional style
> equipment will be insulated to allow flammable cabinetry to surround
> it.

Which is one reason why one could buy an actual used professional 6-burner
gas range for a hell of a lot less than the same thing fitted for
residential use.

> True professional equipment typically has higher gas or electric
> requirements than what is available in most homes and as a result
> can't operate in a typical residential environment without electric
> or gas service upgrades. Professional style equipment will be
> designed to fit within residential limitations and as a result
> usually won't have the BTU capacity of true professional units, even
> if they look cosmetically similar.

Exactly, and since I am limited to LP--no gas lines out here--one of the
things I need to tease out is what the true performance of various units is
when limited to that fuel. One can read burner specs all day without finding
some real life comparative information about how they actually perform, in
the manner of Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, CR only tests a few models,
and half the time the model in question is out of date by the time one is
looking to buy.

> The bottom line is that the professional style appliances are
> generally comparable performance wise to the upper end normal
> residential appliances and the difference is mostly cosmetic and of
> course the expensive foofy brand nameplate. Where the real
> differences are is between the low end appliances and the upper end
> appliances. Don't expect much from a $500 range, but also don't
> expect to find much functional difference between a $2k range and a
> $4k range.

That is the impression I have, but it is not backed up by any experience. My
neice has a DCS range, and it's great. But so is my mother's dual fuel
Bosch, which I *think* is probably significantly cheaper. But I haven't
tried cooking in a wok on either one, just as an example.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:48:41 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Btw,
>> there's a huge difference between "professional" and "professional
>> style". Hardly anyone puts true professional [commercial] equipment
>> in their home... 99% choose professional style (looks like).
>> Professional style performs no better than ordinary models, just makes
>> folks with more dollars than brain cells feel like they know.

>Partly true. The key difference between true professional equipment and
>professional style equipment is that the true professional equipment
>isn't generally insulated and won't meet residential fire codes with
>flammable cabinetry in close proximity. Professional style equipment
>will be insulated to allow flammable cabinetry to surround it.
>
>True professional equipment typically has higher gas or electric
>requirements than what is available in most homes and as a result can't
>operate in a typical residential environment without electric or gas
>service upgrades. Professional style equipment will be designed to fit
>within residential limitations and as a result usually won't have the
>BTU capacity of true professional units, even if they look cosmetically
>similar.
>
>The bottom line is that the professional style appliances are generally
>comparable performance wise to the upper end normal residential
>appliances and the difference is mostly cosmetic and of course the
>expensive foofy brand nameplate. Where the real differences are is
>between the low end appliances and the upper end appliances. Don't
>expect much from a $500 range, but also don't expect to find much
>functional difference between a $2k range and a $4k range.

All gibberish. You're just babbling off on tangents. You completely
ignored the entire point I made that "Professional Style" is a
meaningless term... anything labeled "Professional Style" may as well
be labeled "Bull Shit"... all that means is that it's an ordinary
residential model stylized with trim to make it look like a commercial
product... however a true commercial appliance is typically not very
attractive, they're designed for utility. The correct nomenclature is
*Commercial*. Btw, it's not difficult to make a Commercial stove
conform to residential code, however very very few actually have a use
for a Commercial stove at home, not many are making soup in 80 quart
pots that need the BTUs to maintain temperature of all that mass and
stove chassis strength so they don't collapse under that weight. When
someone buys an appliance, even if it says "Professional", and uses it
commercially they void the warranty. True commercial appliances are
built to much higher standards than those meant for residential use...
but they're typically not sold with a very long warranty (usually 90
days), to maintain the warranty longer the manufacturer expects the
business to purchase a yearly service contract. There's plenty of
appliances and cookware out there sold with the "Professional" tag but
they don't come close to Commercial standards. The first clues that
it's not Commercial is that it's pretty and the manufacturer stresses
a wattage rating. Watts is a measure of power consumed, NOT power
produced. Motorized electrical appliances to conform to commercial
grade must prominently display Horsepower ratings. Folks who buy
kitchen appliances based on Wattage are idiots, most of the Watts
consumed go to producing heat... your 600 Watt Kitchen Aid stand mixer
is the most expensive hair drier you'll ever own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
> whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
> equipment.

I don't know what you're looking for but I'll toss out there that we
recently took a cooking class in Charleston, using professional
equipment. I was shocked at how HOT! those big stoves got, the handles
and knobs all heated when the oven and rangetop were both on. I had
never used one before and wondered about how practical/safe they were in
a home kitchen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
> whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
> equipment.

Oh, where is Kay Hartman when we need her? :-(

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
>> whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
>> equipment.

>Oh, where is Kay Hartman when we need her? :-(

She wound up with a high-end home range - A Garland, IIRC, although
she investigated them all.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Janet" > wrote:
> >
> >> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
> >> whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
> >> equipment.

> >Oh, where is Kay Hartman when we need her? :-(

> She wound up with a high-end home range - A Garland, IIRC, although
> she investigated them all.
>
> Boron

That sounds right. I know she did a lot of research and talked to
dealers; some of those suckers required better gas connections that the
average house has, IIRC. I miss her.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like
>> to know whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the
>> "professional" equipment.

> You might find the type of info you are after on this:
> http://www.consumersearch.com
>
> pavane

Thanks, this site is the best I've seen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 1:45*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> > I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like to know
> > whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the "professional"
> > equipment.

> I don't know what you're looking for but I'll toss out there that we
> recently took a cooking class in Charleston, using professional
> equipment. I was shocked at how HOT! those big stoves got, the handles
> and knobs all heated when the oven and rangetop were both on. I had
> never used one before and wondered about how practical/safe they were in
> a home kitchen?

I've wondered what material they use so that the stove knobs just
don't melt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:34:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >Oh, where is Kay Hartman when we need her? :-(

>> She wound up with a high-end home range - A Garland, IIRC, although
>> she investigated them all.
>>
>> Boron

>That sounds right. I know she did a lot of research and talked to
>dealers; some of those suckers required better gas connections that the
>average house has, IIRC. I miss her.

'Twas the Golden Age.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:40:11 -0500, "Janet" >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Janet" wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't found one that reviews a broad range of brands. I'd like
>>> to know whether it is actually worth it to pay more for some of the
>>> "professional" equipment.

>> Epinions.com is pretty good with customer reviews over a broad range.
>> But you're not really looking for a review, by needing to know if "if
>> it's worth it" you're wanting someone do make the decision for you
>> because you have no spine where spending mony is concerned.

>Go **** yourself. I've had it with kneejerk hostility from big egos with
>little brains and less manners
>
>You know nothing about me, you ass.

Stay ignorant, see if I care.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > The key difference between true professional equipment
> > and professional style equipment is that the true professional
> > equipment isn't generally insulated and won't meet residential fire
> > codes with flammable cabinetry in close proximity. Professional style
> > equipment will be insulated to allow flammable cabinetry to surround
> > it.
> >

> Which is one reason why one could buy an actual used professional 6-burner
> gas range for a hell of a lot less than the same thing fitted for
> residential use.

Yep, cheaper to buy just the range, but comparable cost by the time you
account for the cost to refit your kitchen to support an actual
professional range.

> > True professional equipment typically has higher gas or electric
> > requirements than what is available in most homes and as a result
> > can't operate in a typical residential environment without electric
> > or gas service upgrades. Professional style equipment will be
> > designed to fit within residential limitations and as a result
> > usually won't have the BTU capacity of true professional units, even
> > if they look cosmetically similar.

> Exactly, and since I am limited to LP--no gas lines out here--one of the
> things I need to tease out is what the true performance of various units is
> when limited to that fuel. One can read burner specs all day without finding
> some real life comparative information about how they actually perform, in
> the manner of Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, CR only tests a few models,
> and half the time the model in question is out of date by the time one is
> looking to buy.

LP gas has a bit higher BTU content than nat. gas. You will find that as
long as your supply is sized properly your range will perform as good or
better on LP than on Nat. gas. My 5 burner cooktop on my dual fuel range
runs on LP and performs nicely.

> > The bottom line is that the professional style appliances are
> > generally comparable performance wise to the upper end normal
> > residential appliances and the difference is mostly cosmetic and of
> > course the expensive foofy brand nameplate. Where the real
> > differences are is between the low end appliances and the upper end
> > appliances. Don't expect much from a $500 range, but also don't
> > expect to find much functional difference between a $2k range and a
> > $4k range.

> That is the impression I have, but it is not backed up by any experience. My
> neice has a DCS range, and it's great. But so is my mother's dual fuel
> Bosch, which I *think* is probably significantly cheaper. But I haven't
> tried cooking in a wok on either one, just as an example.

No residential range will compare to a real commercial wok burner.
Standard residential gas supply lines just won't support a real wok
burner. The high output burner on my range does a decent job, but it's
still far cry from what you see in a Chinese restaurant.