Ripon

Default How many of us are really drinking pure Drajeeling tea?

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...

> Ripon,
>
> I'm absolutely sure your absolutely right. Just as there are probably tons
> of the original Cross available in slivers, not to mention tons of Noah's
> Ark, and God knows what all else -- the Berlin Wall, perhaps -- Darjeeling
> tea sales undoubtedly outweigh Darjeeling tea production. I'm looking
> forward to your comments on the exploitation of workers. During the past
> month, I've heard two radio broadcasts about riots and upheavals in Assam
> gardens over wages, etc.

Well Michael I already did explore some case studies on plantation
workers. It's horrible. Ya, whatever you heard of Assman, it's true.
But it has more inside story. I am just organising my thought on this
issue. And want to see by myself before puting my strong comment. I
will take some time because when I talk about a problem , I would also
like to talk about some solutions. So please give me some time.

> I buy most of my Darjeelings from Kyela Teas in Canada. They carry the fair
> trade logo as well as the Indian Government Darjeeling logo. I hope this
> means their tea workers are fairly compensated for their work and that I am
> actually drinking darjeeling tea. When I was in India I bought at some
> "craft collectives" which sold direct from the maker and so avoided the
> exploitative middle folk. But, that was decades ago.

Well If there are fake Sony electronics why not some fake Darjeeing
Logo?

> Incidentally, I've bought lovely teas that came from the Temi garden in
> Sikkim, but I hear they are having their problems now. Never tasted one
> from Nepal, I don't think.

well you know Sikkim(Temi garden) sold its production as Darjeeing tea
up to 1999. But since Darjeeling CTM came into force, the Temi teas
are being treated as orthodox catagory from the year 2000. Well, i
have tried that and it's just like Darjeeing. recently I am also
drinking Neplaese tea from Fikkal Illam estate.

> Anyway, post us on the labor issues. I'm eager to hear. Not to mention the
> pesticide and chemical fertilizer issues as well.

Well, next week I have an appoinment with a local planters who has
worked for British Finley tea company last 25 years. I am going to see
him with my hi expection because he is my friend's father. About
pesticide-thats another broad issue. i would like to keep it aside
this time. But next time offcourse.

Ripon.