Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default TN: Nice Mosel, ok Burg Blanc, not so good Rioja

Re-thinking about this issue during the weekend, I came to the conclusion
that an easier way to get apparently dry German Rieslings is going outside
of the Mosel.

In other areas, such as Rheinhessen or Nahe, there are plenty of producers
making dry (less than 10 grams of RS) wines inside the Grosses Gewächse
movement.

Many of the big names from such areas (and I guess it could be more or less
in Pfalz or the Rheingau, just that I do not know these areas well), make a
basic Riesling Trocken that tastes dry (even if they have a little residual
sugar).

Many of these wines are QbA wines, so they can be chaptalized (from grapes
harvested as low as 7 %vol potential alcohol), so it is really important to
go with only very reputable producers.

s.