Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Sicily and Alsace

On Jan 11, 10:36*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 10:30*am, DaleW > wrote:
>>

> Interesting notes on the Calabretta Etna Rosso. *I find the wines of
> Sicily to be somewhat paradoxical. *I've found some good examples but
> generally I find poor either over-ripe wanna-be California knock-offs
> or very rustic, high acid plonk. *I've never visited Sicily so I don't
> know if this is just what the importers offer us or if it is
> indicitive of Sicilian wines in general.

That was generally my impression- overripe glossy Nero d'Avolas, or
somewhat poorly made wines.
But I think Sicily is one of the most improved areas in last few year.
I'm particularly fond of Etna Rosso, the wines are grown up high on Mt
Etna, so not as obviously hot climate. There's a range of styles- the
basic Terre Nere and especially the Biondi come across as almost
Burgundian, the upper level Terre Nere wines are more slick/modern but
very good, and some more rustic wines like this. But in general
interesting appellation.
I also like Montoni's Nero d'Avola, both regular and Vru-something.
Arianna Occhipinti makes very interesting wines in the natural/
hipster mode.
Frank Cornelissen also gets lots of acclaim (and some raspberries) but
I've not tried.

Actually, if anyone is interested in Sicily, this week's Tuesday sale
at Astor Wines is Sicily. 15% off.