Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Slovenian and Jura wines at 10 Bells

On Jan 10, 12:10*pm, Ken Blake > wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:48:40 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 10, 9:47 am, "James Silverton" >
> > wrote:

> > > Pardon my asking but what's a "ziker". I don't think I've ever come
> > > across the word before.

> > > --

> > > James Silverton
> > > Potomac, Maryland

> > > Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> > Ziker (Zikr, Dhikr, Zyker) is a prayer gathering in the Sufi
> > tradition. In this case people who study the works of Hazrat Inayat
> > Khan and Pir Vilayat Khan, Readings from various religions, poems,
> > music.

> Thanks for the answer, Dale. I was going to ask the same question, but
> James beat me to it.
>
> > Betsy does Northen Indian classical music as well as Western
> > classical.

> Does she play the Indian music on the cello, or does she also play
> some other Indian instrument?
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Ken Blake

She does a bit of improv (a challenge for a western "classical"
musician) on cello, but for the most part does raga singing and plays
tamboura (a drone instrument used for accompaniment).
I hope no one considers this spam (I think I can be pretty certain
that this isn't the target audience for her Indian-influenced CD), but
the previews (other than the Arvo Part piece) here show tamboura,
singing, improv cello
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/latifa