Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Slovenian and Jura wines at 10 Bells

Oswaldo and Marcia were in town, and we arranged to meet them at Ten
Bells on the Lower East Side. Betsy had a ziker to attend, so I
dropped her, visited my favorite wine store (aka Chambers), did a
couple of errands, picked her up and headed to Broome St. We saw
Oswaldo and Marcia on the block, and eventually found correct door. It
seemed a bit loud, but we ended up in the pleasant and quieter
backroom.

Food was pretty good for a winebar. Standout for me was the angulas
(baby eels) over arugula, we also enjoyed white asparaugus, duck
breast salad, pulled pork sandwich, ham. Betsy was taking Advil for
back so just sipped, the rest of us got a glass of white each and
split a bottle of red.

My opener was a 2008 *"Movia "Quattro Mani." Weird and funky nose
(Oswaldo said this was Tocai). Citrus, musky floral tones (like
walking into a greenhouse of tropical plants), anise, and something
strange that I can't put my finger on. Surprisingly, a bit dilute and
dull on palate. But as it warms palate fills out, and the strange/
chemical edge (dare I say it reminded me of urinal deodorizer!) faded.
A wine way more interesting than pleasant at first, turned into a nice
quaff (interesting but not weird). B

The 2007 Puffeney Poulsard was a bit reticent at first, but I ended up
quite liking. Pale color, a little funky on the nose at first, but
with time in flask it seemed more mainstream. Sweet strawberries and
cherry, some orange zest. Good but not extreme acidity, no percievable
tannins, a little light for the duck but versatile and foodfriendly. B
+
*
Of course, seeing Oswaldo and Marcia was the highlight, I'd have been
happy to drink Marquis Phillips and eat Whoppers to see them (ok,
maybe I wouldn't have been happy).

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 10, 9:05*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Oswaldo and Marcia were in town, and we arranged to meet them at Ten
> Bells on the Lower East Side. Betsy had a ziker to attend, so I
> dropped her, visited my favorite wine store (aka Chambers), did a
> couple of errands, picked her up and headed to Broome St. We saw
> Oswaldo and Marcia on the block, and eventually found correct door. It
> seemed a bit loud, but we ended up in the pleasant and quieter
> backroom.
>
> Food was pretty good for a winebar. Standout for me was the angulas
> (baby eels) over arugula, we also enjoyed white asparaugus, duck
> breast salad, pulled pork sandwich, ham. Betsy was taking Advil for
> back so just sipped, the rest of us got a glass of white each and
> split a bottle of red.
>
> My opener was a 2008 *"Movia "Quattro Mani." *Weird and funky nose
> (Oswaldo said this was Tocai). Citrus, musky floral tones (like
> walking into a greenhouse of tropical plants), anise, and something
> strange that I can't put my finger on. Surprisingly, a bit dilute and
> dull on palate. But as it warms palate fills out, and *the strange/
> chemical edge (dare I say it reminded me of urinal deodorizer!) faded.
> A wine way more interesting than pleasant at first, turned into a nice
> quaff (interesting but not weird). B
>
> The 2007 Puffeney Poulsard was a bit reticent at first, but I ended up
> quite liking. Pale color, a little funky on the nose at first, but
> with time in flask it seemed more mainstream. Sweet strawberries and
> cherry, some orange zest. Good but not extreme acidity, no percievable
> tannins, a little light for the duck but versatile and foodfriendly. B
> +
> *
> Of course, seeing Oswaldo and Marcia was the highlight, I'd have been
> happy to drink Marquis Phillips and eat Whoppers to see them (ok,
> maybe I wouldn't have been happy).
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

Whoppers and Marquis Phillips....they must be awesome people.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 06:05:59 -0800 (PST):

>Oswaldo and Marcia were in town, and we arranged to meet them at Ten
>Bells on the Lower East Side. Betsy had a ziker to attend,

Pardon my asking but what's a "ziker". I don't think I've ever come
across the word before.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 10, 9:47*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *DaleW *wrote *on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 06:05:59 -0800 (PST):
>
> >Oswaldo and Marcia were in town, and we arranged to meet them at Ten
> >Bells on the Lower East Side. Betsy had a ziker to attend,

> Pardon my asking but what's a "ziker". I don't think I've ever come
> across the word before.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Ziker (Zikr, Dhikr, Zyker) is a prayer gathering in the Sufi
tradition. In this case people who study the works of Hazrat Inayat
Khan and Pir Vilayat Khan, Readings from various religions, poems,
music. Betsy does Northen Indian classical music as well as Western
classical.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:48:40 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

> On Jan 10, 9:47*am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
> > *DaleW *wrote *on Mon, 10 Jan 2011 06:05:59 -0800 (PST):
> >
> > >Oswaldo and Marcia were in town, and we arranged to meet them at Ten
> > >Bells on the Lower East Side. Betsy had a ziker to attend,

> > Pardon my asking but what's a "ziker". I don't think I've ever come
> > across the word before.
> >
> > --
> >
> > James Silverton
> > Potomac, Maryland
> >
> > Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> Ziker (Zikr, Dhikr, Zyker) is a prayer gathering in the Sufi
> tradition. In this case people who study the works of Hazrat Inayat
> Khan and Pir Vilayat Khan, Readings from various religions, poems,
> music.

Thanks for the answer, Dale. I was going to ask the same question, but
James beat me to it.

> Betsy does Northen Indian classical music as well as Western
> classical.

Does she play the Indian music on the cello, or does she also play
some other Indian instrument?

Ken

--
Ken Blake

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 10, 12:10*pm, Ken Blake > wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:48:40 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 10, 9:47 am, "James Silverton" >
> > wrote:

> > > Pardon my asking but what's a "ziker". I don't think I've ever come
> > > across the word before.

> > > --

> > > James Silverton
> > > Potomac, Maryland

> > > Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> > Ziker (Zikr, Dhikr, Zyker) is a prayer gathering in the Sufi
> > tradition. In this case people who study the works of Hazrat Inayat
> > Khan and Pir Vilayat Khan, Readings from various religions, poems,
> > music.

> Thanks for the answer, Dale. I was going to ask the same question, but
> James beat me to it.
>
> > Betsy does Northen Indian classical music as well as Western
> > classical.

> Does she play the Indian music on the cello, or does she also play
> some other Indian instrument?
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Ken Blake

She does a bit of improv (a challenge for a western "classical"
musician) on cello, but for the most part does raga singing and plays
tamboura (a drone instrument used for accompaniment).
I hope no one considers this spam (I think I can be pretty certain
that this isn't the target audience for her Indian-influenced CD), but
the previews (other than the Arvo Part piece) here show tamboura,
singing, improv cello
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/latifa
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:22:10 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

> On Jan 10, 12:10*pm, Ken Blake > wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:48:40 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
> > wrote:

> > > Ziker (Zikr, Dhikr, Zyker) is a prayer gathering in the Sufi
> > > tradition. In this case people who study the works of Hazrat Inayat
> > > Khan and Pir Vilayat Khan, Readings from various religions, poems,
> > > music.

> > Thanks for the answer, Dale. I was going to ask the same question, but
> > James beat me to it.
> >
> > > Betsy does Northen Indian classical music as well as Western
> > > classical.

> > Does she play the Indian music on the cello, or does she also play
> > some other Indian instrument?
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake

> She does a bit of improv (a challenge for a western "classical"
> musician) on cello, but for the most part does raga singing and plays
> tamboura (a drone instrument used for accompaniment).

Interesting, thanks. Yes, I know the tamboura.