Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Report: New Year's Eve Menu

sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 01:52:59 +0000 (UTC), (Steve

>> Interesting; does liquid come out of the eggplant which you
>> discard before proceeding with blending? That always happens
>> to me when I make babaganoush.

>> With babaganoush you can try to correct for overcooked
>> eggplant by adding more tahini. That's not an option for this recipe.

>It's a good thing I've never tried to make babaganoush then because I
>would have over cooked the eggplant.

It's fun to make. The eggplants are grilled whole over wood smoke until
they are wrinkled and soft -- up to 1/2 hour. After cooling, when you
slit the skin, a considerable amount of dark liquid (resembling
liquid smoke, really) drains out. I generally discard the liquid and
the skin, or include just a little of the liquid. I'll slice the pulp
against the grain before blending it, which I usually do just with a fork,
and add tahini until I like the texture.

I usually do this if I'm expecting a group, because two eggplants makes
a boatload of babaganoush.

Steve