Gorio Gorio is offline
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
This is what I'm planning to make:

roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread

white bean and cabbage soup

aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)
stuffed red peppers[2]
slow-roasted onions[3]
apple lambic

Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish[4]

shortbread with orange marmalade
Dolce

Bob
[1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with olive
oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper
[2] There was no pork shoulder at the farmers' market today, but there was
some gorgeous lamb, so the stuffing will be lamb loin and bacon ground
together with garlic and rosemary-infused red wine vinegar, seasoned with
salt and pepper, then mixed with bread crumbs.
[3]
Slow-Roasted Sweet Onions with "Licorice" Powder Recipe - Michel Bras | Food & Wine
[4] This is adapted from _The French Laundry_. In that book, it's a
Roquefort mousse with pear puree, a sweet/savory pear relish, and a walnut
dacquoise (meringue cookie). I'm using Bleu d'Auvergne instead of Roquefort,
and I'm making a pecan streusel instead of the dacquoise.
I hope you know this crowd well enough that they enjoy the lambic. It certainly is not to everyone's tastes. You may wish to purchase a few bottle of New Glarus Cherry red(cherry) or their Apple beer. I love lambics, but I noticed that my friends who don't go nuts over these two. Very fruity, made with good malt and a very well made finished product. Although the process of making lambic cannot be repilicated but in an area around Brussels. I tried it anyways. It is odd to allow mold to grow on your beer. It halts fermentation, though, and renders a nice, low alcohol fruit brew. You can come close at home; but you'll never beat the original.

No pork shoulder? Odd. I'll take lamb over almost anything, though.

Nice mellow menu that will allow you to enjoy as well.

Laisse les bon temps ruler (my apologies, my French sucks.)

I'm going with bacon wrapped duck breasts, stuffed mushrooms, braised veal hearts, canned smoked fish from the Columbia river(WA), and some Vieux Chateau de Roi (sp?)red , still trying to figure out a white, and imperial stout/DAB/brown ale/NG Belgian cherry red. You pick.

What to add, what to add. All easy stuff to make and enjoy hassle free. Those plum/brie bites look cool.

I might just grab a half-pound of 10 year old cheddar that some suggest doesn't exist. Horseradish Havarti is nice.