Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Peeling potatoes

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:03:10 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > The other option with russets is to peel them after cooking them. Easier
>> > and faster, but I'll just stick with the yukon golds or those thin
>> > skinned white potatoes. I don't peel reds either.

>> I forgot about that. I had some recipe for a potato salad that called for
>> peeling the potatoes after cooking. But of course they had to be hot so the
>> dressing would soak in. That was no fun!

>Heh! Just run them under cold water while peeling! They still stay hot
>enough when you are done. Peeling cooked spuds generally goes pretty
>fast.

Slice lengthwise. Then lay half spud cut side up and slice but not
all the way through, flicking the blade slightly with each cut... most
of the peel will remain attached at the 'spine' and easily picked off
in one piece. Naturally regardless peeling prior to or after cooking
the larger the spuds the easier the task. With hot potato salads I
don't worry about removing every speck of peel.