Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Peeling potatoes

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:13:10 -0500, wrote:

> How far in advance is it alright to peel potatoes for say, mashing or roasting?
> I'm talking the same day, but if they sit, will they be alright? I imagine to
> prevent them from discoloring, keep them in a pot of water? But will they absord
> too much water and mess up their cooking? Thanks.

How far advance do you plan to do peel them? I don't see why it would
matter, you're going to boil them in water anyway (I use a little
boiling water when whipping/mashing to cut back on fat and calories).

When they're fork tender, drain well, cover and let them dry out for a
minute or two. If you don't overdo the liquid when mashing, you'll
end up with really fluffy mashed potatoes. Don't over think this.
You're making something easy into something hard.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.