Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Dungeness Crab - fresh in season - live vs supermarket cooked

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 03:20:22 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

> kent > wrote:
>
> >If you butcher the crab first you lose the very tasty crab liver. I
> >haven't tried butchering live crab. I suspect cleaning off all the
> >body parts would be somewhat more difficult.

> The Sunset Seafood Cookbook describes how to do it. You kill it
> first with a blow to the neck, using the blunt edge of your cleaver.

LOLOL! I think I have that book. If I do have it, what page is that
on? I can't tell you how trollish this sounds - I'd kill this thread
if I didn't know you. Does Sunset have a chart to show you how to
find a crab's neck? Or are you talking about a crab that is molting?
That would be a lucky 24 hour (I think) period.

> You do not remove the top shell from a still-living crab.

Unless you have two or three other friends to help you hold it down.

> It's only really necessary for dishes like stir-fried crab legs.

It's possible to kill the crab without fully cooking it, if that's
what you want.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.