Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default The only decent microwaves are....

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Pete wrote on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:11:55 -0500:
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue 26 Oct 2010 05:20:46a, Pete C. told us...

>>> FWIW, in many cases it's not the spider that connects with
>>> the drive unit, but the glass turntable itself, which has a
>>> molded center to conform with the drive unit. The spider is
>>> there only to provide stability and is connected to nothing.

>> On the ones like that that I have seen, there is still a
>> little plastic drive hub that is removable so there is no link
>> between the turntable and the motor drive.

>>> Still other microwave units have a recessed turntable, so
>>> that if one needs to use an oversized rectantular baking
>>> dish, it can be set on top, not touching the rotating
>>> turntable. Not to mention the already mentioned turntables
>>> that have a switcht to turn them off.
>>>
>>> If all this still boggles the mind, you need to get out more
>>> and look at how various units are made today.

> I used to have a Sharp microwave but it died a while ago. I replaced it
> with a Kenmore model 721 on advice from CR. The Kenmore is pretty good
> tho' it lacks a button that gives multiples of 30 seconds heating that was
> good for reheating coffee. With the Kenmore, I find that 1 minute 20
> seconds is good for coffee and thus lazy me has to press buttons three
> times instead of two and also find different buttons in my morning
> stupor.:-) The Kenmore has a vapor sensor that works pretty well for
> automatic cooking and defrosting.
>
> I finally dug out the manual for my Kenmore.. What I believe others refer
> to as a "spider" is a three-armed device that the manual calls a "roller
> rest". This appears to be mechanically connected thro' a central hole to
> something that rotates it and thus the circular glass turntable. As far as
> I can tell , there is no suggestion to cook without the roller rest but
> you are warned not to cook without the turntable.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Yes, James. That's pretty much what I ran into with my Sharp. It was cheap
but there were no instructions for removing the turntable. And they pretty
much said not to cook without it. It was useless other than for heating up
frozen dinners. I hated it. Won't ever buy one again, that's for sure.

Jill