Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The only decent microwaves are....

Pete wrote on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:11:55 -0500:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> You are not supposed to operate the microwave with out the
> >> glass base platter installed. They are there specifically
> >> to elevate the food above the actual metal floor of the
> >> microwave so that the microwaves can bounce around under
> >> the food and cook the bottom. If you put something directly
> >> down on the floor the bottom will not cook. Since those
> >> spiders plug into a recessed square drive socket, I can't
> >> see how it would still be trying to turn your dish anyway.
> >>

>> FWIW, in many cases it's not the spider that connects with
>> the drive unit, but the glass turntable itself, which has a
>> molded center to conform with the drive unit. The spider is
>> there only to provide stability and is connected to nothing.

> On the ones like that that I have seen, there is still a
> little plastic drive hub that is removable so there is no link
> between the turntable and the motor drive.

>> Still other microwave units have a recessed turntable, so
>> that if one needs to use an oversized rectantular baking
>> dish, it can be set on top, not touching the rotating
>> turntable. Not to mention the already mentioned turntables
>> that have a switcht to turn them off.
>>
>> If all this still boggles the mind, you need to get out more
>> and look at how various units are made today.

I used to have a Sharp microwave but it died a while ago. I replaced it
with a Kenmore model 721 on advice from CR. The Kenmore is pretty good
tho' it lacks a button that gives multiples of 30 seconds heating that
was good for reheating coffee. With the Kenmore, I find that 1 minute 20
seconds is good for coffee and thus lazy me has to press buttons three
times instead of two and also find different buttons in my morning
stupor.:-) The Kenmore has a vapor sensor that works pretty well for
automatic cooking and defrosting.

I finally dug out the manual for my Kenmore.. What I believe others
refer to as a "spider" is a three-armed device that the manual calls a
"roller rest". This appears to be mechanically connected thro' a central
hole to something that rotates it and thus the circular glass turntable.
As far as I can tell , there is no suggestion to cook without the roller
rest but you are warned not to cook without the turntable.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland