Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default The only decent microwaves are....

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 26 Oct 2010 05:20:46a, Pete C. told us...
>

> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> >> ter.com...

> >> I take it you didn't read my thread about 12 years ago when I
> >> bought the microwave. (I'm one of those people who *does* read
> >> the owners manual.) Removing the "spider" wasn't the issue. I
> >> didn't want to put the glass plate back down, I wanted to use my
> >> own rectangular lasagna baking dish. Spider or not, it would try
> >> to turn it. That didn't work out. It was a cheap microwave. It
> >> served the purpose for popping in a frozen dinner or heating up
> >> leftovers from time to time, but not much else.
> >>
> >> I was used to an old RCA (yes, like the television) microwave.
> >> It had a a dual cooking rack (for cooking several things at once
> >> on two levels) and a temperature probe. It was somethiing you
> >> could actually COOK in without the oven mechanisms trying to take
> >> over.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > You are not supposed to operate the microwave with out the glass
> > base platter installed. They are there specifically to elevate the
> > food above the actual metal floor of the microwave so that the
> > microwaves can bounce around under the food and cook the bottom.
> > If you put something directly down on the floor the bottom will
> > not cook. Since those spiders plug into a recessed square drive
> > socket, I can't see how it would still be trying to turn your dish
> > anyway.
> >

> FWIW, in many cases it's not the spider that connects with the drive
> unit, but the glass turntable itself, which has a molded center to
> conform with the drive unit. The spider is there only to provide
> stability and is connected to nothing.

On the ones like that that I have seen, there is still a little plastic
drive hub that is removable so there is no link between the turntable
and the motor drive.

> Still other microwave units have a recessed turntable, so that if one
> needs to use an oversized rectantular baking dish, it can be set on
> top, not touching the rotating turntable. Not to mention the already
> mentioned turntables that have a switcht to turn them off.
>
> If all this still boggles the mind, you need to get out more and look
> at how various units are made today.

Again, I've looked at a lot of microwaves and have yet to see one where
you can not easily disable the turntable motion in a way documented in
the owner's manual.