Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_25_] Sqwertz[_25_] is offline

Default The only decent microwaves are....

Kenmore.

The microwave died last week and first I tried a Sunbeam. I didn't
need anything fancy since I don't use it often. .9 cuft, 1000Watts
for $60.

It just burned a hole right through the center of the food. It
apparently just a had a single "beam" that went right down into the
center of turntable. Even at 60% power it did that. Screw that.

So then it was a Sharp. 1.2cuft 1000watts for $80. Same thing.
happened just a little off center; food way over heated in one spot
and cold everywhere else.

Seeing as how my first microwave (+ standard convection) was a
2cuft Kennmore and was close to 25 years old, and my second was a
smaller .8cuft dinky Kennmore that lasted 16 years, it was time for
another Kennmore.

Ended up with a 1.5cuft 1200watt for $130 and gave it the "hot dog
test". It evenly plumped the hotdog at 80% power in just 52
seconds then it "exploded" evenly at both ends. It wasn't
overcooked in any one spot. Perfect!

If I live to buy another Microwave, it will be another Kennmore.
These are usually pretty well rated by the consumer rags and
individual reviews. I guess I was just "spoiled" all these years
by having a good microwave and didn't know it.

So my personal recommendation for anyone buying a microwave is to
save yourself the trouble and buy a Kenmore.

Why are the "over the range" microwaves so much more expensive? I
know they usually have fancy exhausts, but other than that are
there any other features that justify 300-500$ price tags? I
didn't even glance at any of them except the price tags. Are these
the fancy "paddle-based" (as opposed to turntable-based) microwaves
that Wayne is always touting? I have never heard of them outside of
his posts.

-sw