Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Diabetic Desserts

On 10/24/2010 2:24 AM, Allegrobox wrote:
> My Dad recently got diagnosed with a mild form of diabetes.
> He's feeling quite miserable that he can't eat the same desserts that we
> are. So, I'm looking for food ideas for the whole family, that are tasty
> and delicious but that won't set him off (especially in small portions)
> and preferably aren't too hard to make.
>
> Do you have any ideas?

sugar-free Jello. You can whip it when it gets to the syrupy stage in
the fridge. It makes a nice mousse.

My DH likes lemon/lime granita. It's really easy to make with fresh
lemon and lime juice, 1 cup water, 1 cup Splenda. Before juicing the
fruit, put a metal oblong cake pan in the freezer. Pour the water,
Splenda and juice (all to your taste) into the cold pan and put back in
the freezer. Set the timer for 30 minutes. Take a fork and scrape the
edges and surface of the granita so large crystals don't form. Do this
every 30 minutes until you have a whole pan full of ices. Transfer to a
container and freeze. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.

I like to serve a scoop of granita in a champagne saucer with a fresh
mint leaf as a garnish.

I have made granita from cantaloupe, strawberries, and even watermelon.
Just puree the fruit and add the Splenda water.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas