Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I just learned a great cooking trick

"Alan S" > wrote in message

>>> I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo
>>> sick to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.

>>No wonder you did, the shoots contain solanin, and so do green potatoes.
>>Alan, if you got away with cutting away the green part, you were lucky.
>>That's just chlorophyll - the entire spud starts producing solanin as a
>>defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty poison!

> I've never had a problem from it, nor have those I cook for. I don't
> mean the whole potato is green, just some areas of the skin.
>
> Bear in mind that for me a serve is less than the size of a golf ball.

I never had a problem with it either. For years I cut the green and/or
shoots off of my potatoes. It was someone either here or ASD that sent me a
link about them. Never again. Potatoes are cheap.

Actually, Angela for whatever reason seems to prefer instant mashed. So no
problems there.