Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default I just learned a great cooking trick

Evelyn > wrote:

: "Bj?rnSteensrud" > wrote in message
: news : > On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:41:23 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
: >
: >>>
: >>> The only time I peel a spud is when there is green skin. Otherwise I
: >>> cook and eat it skin and all; that includes mashed spuds.
: >>
: >> I will no longer eat potatoes with any green or sprouts. I got soooo
: >> sick to my stomach after doing that. Angela got sick too.
: >
: > No wonder you did, the shoots contain solanin, and so do green potatoes.
: > Alan, if you got away with cutting away the green part, you were lucky.
: > That's just chlorophyll - the entire spud starts producing solanin as a
: > defense agains insects (and people). Solanin is a nasty poison!

: I throw out green potatoes, but if there are a few white sprouts I simply
: cut them off and peel the potato as usual.

: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Sprouts are not a problem until hey get long and man enough to soften the
potato. We used to buy a bushel of keeper potatoes in the country and
keep them in our basement(which we discovered never froze) and take soem
ome every time we went up durign the winter. Came the spring we would
come up one weekend and find long tangles of sprouts. Those babies really
wanted to be planted:-)

Wendy