Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oil Poaching

Hello All!

There is considerable interest on cooking pages in newspapers on
poaching in oil and there are several different methods including using
a deep-frying thermometer and also cooking in the oven. Quite a range of
temperatures is suggested from 150F to 350F. The last seems hardly
poaching.

I have tried flounder in the oven set at 180F, about it's lowest, and,
using a thermometer, attempting to maintain 180F on the stove with
Rainbow trout. Both were pretty good but I think the temperature in the
frying pan was a lot more than 180, judging by how quickly the fish
cooked.

Has anyone else any experience with the method? I only use olive oil
and, since flavorings are added to the oil, I don't bother with
virginol.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland