Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_2_] Nancy Young[_2_] is offline

Default Using a food processor to grind meat.

Steve Freides wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Handy Gandy wrote:
>>> I was watch America's Test Kitchen a few days, and they were using a
>>> food processor to grind meat. Cut into small pieces, freeze the
>>> meat, dump in the processor.
>>>
>>> I mentioned this to a friend saying " I thought you couldn't do
>>> that. That you needed a grinder specially made for it."
>>>
>>> He told me that they were using a fancy high end processor. Looked
>>> like a vanilla processor ro me. Is it possible?

>> I saw Alton Brown use a food processor to grind meat once.
>> I think he gave it exactly 10 pulses to get the grind he wanted.
>> Maybe you could find his method online somewhere. Wait,
>> he
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/b8b4aw

> I saw a Good Eats episode in which he used a meat grinder and
> mentioned that a food processor wasn't the right tool for the job
> (was making hamburger)- wonder if it was filmed before or after the
> one you saw...

While I remember the episode and the 10 grinds, I don't remember
every detail he talked about. If I had to guess, he would have to
acknowledge that the great majority of people don't have a meat
grinder and have no plans to buy one, but that they do have a food
processor.

But he was careful not to turn the meat into mush.

nancy