Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Siemon Michael Siemon is offline

Default Using a food processor to grind meat.

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Handy Gandy" > wrote in message
> > I was watch America's Test Kitchen a few days, and they were using a food
> > processor to grind meat. Cut into small pieces, freeze the meat, dump in
> > the processor.
> >
> > I mentioned this to a friend saying " I thought you couldn't do that.
> > That you needed a grinder specially made for it."
> >
> > He told me that they were using a fancy high end processor. Looked like a
> > vanilla processor ro me. Is it possible?

> Yes, I used to do it a long time ago, but the results are not so good. As
> you have described, first you have to cut up the meat and then freeze it.
> Not worth all the trouble! Oh and I didn't have a particularly high end
> processor. Process it just a bit too long and you have mush.

A good, reasonably large, food processor does a good job on a smallish
(up to 1 pound) quantity of meat. Yes, it should be cut into cubes first
(say, 3/4" to 1"). And you need to pulse, watching to make sure you do
not create "mush" (as noted above). This is a quite reasonable way to
chop chicken or pork for Thai larb, for example. And I've done it for
hamburgers as well.