Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brookilyn1 Brookilyn1 is offline

Default MEAT GRINDERS

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 00:02:21 -0400, "Lionel Hutz, Esq." >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:56:07 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> The problem for me was that I wanted a much coarser grind for chili,
>>> and the Kitchen Aid attachment doesn't take standard sized plates and
>>> blades.

>> I find myself using the large holed plate for everything. One grind
>> only. I do wish there was one for a coarser grind. It really does
>> limit it's use and I';m surprised they don't offer one.
>>

>> -sw

>Could you get one fabricated at a machine shop?

A single custom made grinder plate would cost more to fabricate from
scratch than a dozen KA stand mixers. It would be far less costly to
have the shop elongate the holes on an existing stainless steel plate
but would still cost a couple-three hours shop time...would be cheaper
to buy a real grinder. There is absolutely no reason that grinder
plate holes need to be round... were someone handy with a jeweler's
coping saw and jeweler's files it's a rather simple DIY project... the
grade of stainless steel used for grinder plates is easily machinable,
not so for hardened carbon steel plates. Larger grinder plates are
readily available with kidney shaped openings that are specifically
configured for extra coarse grind.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/627