Posted to rec.food.cooking
lainie lainie is offline

Default cabbage rolls

On Sep 4, 2:36*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "lainie" > wrote in message

> > Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. *Probably because
> > I remember them being such a pain. *These days, I guess I have more
> > patience. *And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> > the leaves. *A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> > tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> > baked in the oven. *Yeah! *But I have many leaves left over and hate
> > to throw them out. *OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. *I'm making
> > them for my kids. *I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> > soup, I was on that horrible diet. *YUK..........

> I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup
> cider vinegar. * Cook it for a few minutes first. *It really goes incredibly
> well with the cabbage rolls.
>
> Paul

Ok, just tried the cabbage rolls. Good, but lacking some spices that
I would have added if it was for me - oregano, thyme, parsley, basil.
Sadly, my daughters' husbands are not that into being creative - bland
seems to work for them! And since I have three daughters that are
breast feeding, cabbage is probably not an option. But now I know
what to do with the remaining leaves! Off to the store to buy more
ground meat..........e.