Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL[_3_] JL[_3_] is offline

Default cabbage rolls

lainie wrote:
> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

I make a boiled meat loaf that is wrapped in cabbage leaves, but the
filling, the meat mix has the rest of the cabbage chopped up and added
to it to cook in the "meat loaf" mix.

You might try the same thing with a regular baked meat loaf.

THese days, as much out of laziness as because i like the texture it
produces in a baked meat loaf, i puree my veggies for the meat loaf in
the food processor.

My little mini prep can liquefy an onion or a green pepper but the
fibrous cabbage does not seem to break down completely, more like a fine
chiffonade of cabbage.

This all results in a very fine grained, almost pate like meat loaf.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!