Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default cabbage rolls

In article
lainie > wrote:

> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

Wow! I just got home from the farmers market and the supermarket with
a head of savoy cabbage and 2# of ground chuck roast for holubky. I've
already cooked the rice. GMTA. I chop excess cabbage and lay it on
top of the rolls before covering with a layer of sauerkraut and a can of
tomato juice.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella