Dale Williams

Default OT accents (was Rant)

(another post that seems to have floated out into nowheresville, some points
have already been covered)

It doesn't really bother me if people don't use accents, I didn't myself for
years. But someone (I believe Herr Pronay) posted a while back on Allchars, a
freeware program available at http://allchars.zwolnet.com/
It really is a great program, that makes putting in accents easy and intuitive.
You just hit control, then a logical two-letter combination ("d" & "g" to make
the degree sign- 45°; "e" and " ' " to make an acute e - é , and so on). I find
it easier than remembering Windows character map codes. Of course, if you have
a special keyboard, even easier. Now that it's not a pain, I try to use (I
still slip, especially if I don't have a bottle handy).

As to Gewürztraminer, I checked the Trimach SdR and then the other Alsace
bottles I have (Burn, Zind-Humbrecht, and Frick) -none use the umlaut. I did
notice the '98 ZH Herrenweg de Turckheim had 15% ABV! The Trimbach '98 SdR is
14%.

Like the original poster, I do lament the thrust towards ever-riper,
higher-alcohol wines. But in general I don't think there's been a huge shift in
Alsace that way (though ZH certainly picks late). I think that Mosel-Saar-Ruwer
still has the traditional paradigm, but there's always been vintage variations.
What can you do in vintages like 2001? You either increase alcohol a little or
sweetness.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply