Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old appliances still going strong.......

On 8/20/2010 6:13 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 8/20/2010 1:37 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 7:40 am, >
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...lugging-along-...
>>> a-chord/story-e6frer4f-1225907952460
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/26gct23
>>>

>> The Hamilton clothes dryer my grandparents bought in the early 50s was
>> still going strong almost a half-century later. One of the first
>> commercially available models, it only needed a new V-belt every so
>> often.

> I had a Hamilton gas dryer that I got in the early 70's and it lasted
> until the late 80's when it caught on fire. The belt was a royal PITA to
> replace. You had to remove the entire drum to do it.
>
> As a single mom on a tight budget, I did that job myself. It took both
> hands and both feet to hold up the drum so that I could get the belt
> around it. You just have to picture a 110 pound 5'2" woman doing this to
> know why I'm smiling now.

I can beat that Janet. We had a Frigidaire electric dryer that had
teflon bushings that the front lip of the drum rode on. They got worn
down after about ten years so I took the cover off the machine, did some
measurements, cut some pieces of solid teflon off a chunk I got at work,
superglued them in place, and, inadvertently, glued the damned drum to
the knee that was holding it in place. It sure took some skin off
getting it off though. The dryer held up until we moved in 1979 down to
South Texas. The washer and dryer were purchased in April, 1965 for our
first ever house.