Posted to alt.food.wine

Default All the National Dishes of the World in ONE Ebook!

st.helier wrote on Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:31:43 +1200:

> "James Silverton" <
>>
>> It would be hard to believe the Maori were teetotalers but I have no
>> idea what alcoholic beverages they favored. Can you
>> enlighten me? Didn't some Polynesians have the disgusting
>> sounding method of chewing on starches, spitting it out and
>> letting the mess ferment?

> Historical sources are unequivocal that Polynesians, like most
> of the Indians of America north of Mexico, were without
> alcoholic beverages.

Poor deprived people! I wonder if the delight in warfare of the Maori,
Hawaians and North American Indians was a substitute? However, the
Aztecs who might have had alcohol, were fierce enough. It must have been
a pretty miserable society when, if you were not a high Aztec
aristocrat, you were not even allowed cocoa!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland