Posted to alt.food.wine

Default All the National Dishes of the World in ONE Ebook!

Hey Guys,

Interested in food, recipes or cooking???

I have found something that is brand new and unique...

Please check out this link...

http://www.nationaldishes.com/main.html

It is filled with all the national dishes of the world in alphabetical
order.
You get the recipe to recreate them at home!
And the history behind why the dish has become the national dish.

Amazing guide!

They even offer a free sample! Brilliant!
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" wrote .................

>I love it when people speak of themselves in the 3rd person...
>
> Ailly mw I was stuck at the idea of city dishes, you mean there is a
> national dish for all of France, or Italy, or Germany? OK maybe Luxembourg
> I understand, maybe San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Vatican, Campione
> and Ceuta, but one national dish for Canada?

Hmmm - never saw the original post (spam filtered?)

I wonder what could constitute the national dish for New Zealand?

I mean, I have only been here for a tad over 60 years, and I have no idea
what it could be.

Going back a couple hundred years into Polynesian times, perhaps fish - and
kumara (sweet potato)!

That's it - smoked fish and kumara pie - with a Speight's! (Go on - Google
it!)

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:07:33 +1200:

> "Mike Tommasi" wrote .................
>>
>> I love it when people speak of themselves in the 3rd
>> person...
>>
>> Ailly mw I was stuck at the idea of city dishes, you mean
>> there is a national dish for all of France, or Italy, or
>> Germany? OK maybe Luxembourg I understand, maybe San Marino,
>> Liechtenstein, Andorra, Vatican, Campione and Ceuta, but one national
>> dish for Canada?
>>

> Hmmm - never saw the original post (spam filtered?)

> I wonder what could constitute the national dish for New
> Zealand?

> I mean, I have only been here for a tad over 60 years, and I
> have no idea what it could be.

> Going back a couple hundred years into Polynesian times,
> perhaps fish - and kumara (sweet potato)!

> That's it - smoked fish and kumara pie - with a Speight's!
> (Go on - Google it!)

It would be hard to believe the Maori were teetotalers but I have no
idea what alcoholic beverages they favored. Can you enlighten me? Didn't
some Polynesians have the disgusting sounding method of chewing on
starches, spitting it out and letting the mess ferment?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

James Silverton wrote:

> It would be hard to believe the Maori were teetotalers but I have no
> idea what alcoholic beverages they favored. Can you enlighten me?

Heh. Apparently, they /were/ teetotalers. I got curious, and in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine....81ori_cuisine

it says: "Māori were one of the few people to have no form of alcoholic
beverage."

> Didn't
> some Polynesians have the disgusting sounding method of chewing on
> starches, spitting it out and letting the mess ferment?

I don't know about Polynesians, but originally, sake was produced in
this manner.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Mike Tommasi" wrote .................
>>
>>I love it when people speak of themselves in the 3rd person...
>>
>> Ailly mw I was stuck at the idea of city dishes, you mean there is a
>> national dish for all of France, or Italy, or Germany? OK maybe
>> Luxembourg I understand, maybe San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra,
>> Vatican, Campione and Ceuta, but one national dish for Canada?
>>

> Hmmm - never saw the original post (spam filtered?)
>
> I wonder what could constitute the national dish for New Zealand?
>
> I mean, I have only been here for a tad over 60 years, and I have no idea
> what it could be.
>
> Going back a couple hundred years into Polynesian times, perhaps fish -
> and kumara (sweet potato)!
>
> That's it - smoked fish and kumara pie - with a Speight's! (Go on -
> Google it!)
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Kooked Kiwi with the Kumara, sir? A vintage palm toddy?

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" <

> It would be hard to believe the Maori were teetotalers but I have no idea
> what alcoholic beverages they favored. Can you enlighten me? Didn't some
> Polynesians have the disgusting sounding method of chewing on starches,
> spitting it out and letting the mess ferment?

Historical sources are unequivocal that Polynesians, like most of the
Indians of America north of Mexico, were without alcoholic beverages.

While liquor was first brought to Polynesians by European voyagers in the
middle and late eighteenth century, in all areas of Polynesia ***except New
Zealand*** kava drinking was the only "mode of intoxication"

NOTE: Of course, Kava is non-alcoholic - it is sedating and is primarily
consumed to relax without disrupting mental clarity - and from personal
experience, numbs the tongue.
--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2010-07-23 11:18:38 -0700, stephenkahn > said:

And here I thought Sophia Loren was the national dish of Italy...

Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2010-07-23 11:18:38 -0700, stephenkahn > said:
>

> And here I thought Sophia Loren was the national dish of Italy...
>
> Jim

There is a misconception I've heard that kangaroo is a national dish in
Australia - not so. It's served in tourist restaurants and some high end
places - almost as a novelty item. But nobody I know eats it and I believe
most of the local consumption goes to the dogs ie for pet food.

Slaughtered in non too humane or hygienic surrounds it also carries a few
parasites.

I ate some years ago as kangaroo tail soup and as steak. Dark stringy and
gamey. Recommended wine - cask (bag in a box).

The most common dish in Noosa restaurants is slow cooked pork belly. Most
consumed wine in Oz - New Zealand sauvignon blanc.

Cheers!

Martin.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Martin Field" wrote ......

> Most consumed wine in Oz - New Zealand sauvignon blanc.

Hi Martin, is this a confirmed fact?

I had heard whisperings to this effect.

I would have thought most Australians would rather choke on stringy kangaroo
tails rather than make this admission!!!!!

Cheers

st,helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Martin Field" wrote ......
>>
>> Most consumed wine in Oz - New Zealand sauvignon blanc.
>>

> Hi Martin, is this a confirmed fact?
>
> I had heard whisperings to this effect.
>
> I would have thought most Australians would rather choke on stringy
> kangaroo tails rather than make this admission!!!!!
>
> Cheers
>
> st,helier

Hi St H - as usual I was writing with tongue only slightly in cheek, But a
Queensland wine merchant assures me that NZ SB accounts for 8 out of every
ten bottles of wine of any type bought on the Sunshine Coast (south east
Queensland) and see
http://theshout.com.au/2010/07/14/ar...che/DCEFIMFILY.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:28:08 +1000, "Martin Field"
> wrote:

>"Ronin" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 2010-07-23 11:18:38 -0700, stephenkahn > said:
>>

>> And here I thought Sophia Loren was the national dish of Italy...
>>
>> Jim
>>

>There is a misconception I've heard that kangaroo is a national dish in
>Australia - not so. It's served in tourist restaurants and some high end
>places - almost as a novelty item. But nobody I know eats it and I believe
>most of the local consumption goes to the dogs ie for pet food.
>
>Slaughtered in non too humane or hygienic surrounds it also carries a few
>parasites.
>
>I ate some years ago as kangaroo tail soup and as steak. Dark stringy and
>gamey. Recommended wine - cask (bag in a box).
>
>The most common dish in Noosa restaurants is slow cooked pork belly. Most
>consumed wine in Oz - New Zealand sauvignon blanc.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Martin.

I have had Kangaroo, and rather enjoyed it grilled. Queensland is a
bit warm for wine drinking. I would think the idea of a really dense
Syrah(shiras excuse me) on a Queensland evening would be overpowering.
My favorite Queensland libation would have to be cold beer and a lager
or pilsner at that. Not quite ale country.
Joseph Coulter
J&B Journeys
www.josephcoulter.com

904 685 5317
Posted to alt.food.wine

> > wrote:
>
>>"Ronin" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On 2010-07-23 11:18:38 -0700, stephenkahn > said:
>>>

>>> And here I thought Sophia Loren was the national dish of Italy...
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>>There is a misconception I've heard that kangaroo is a national dish in
>>Australia - not so. It's served in tourist restaurants and some high end
>>places - almost as a novelty item. But nobody I know eats it and I
>>believe
>>most of the local consumption goes to the dogs ie for pet food.
>>
>>Slaughtered in non too humane or hygienic surrounds it also carries a few
>>parasites.
>>
>>I ate some years ago as kangaroo tail soup and as steak. Dark stringy and
>>gamey. Recommended wine - cask (bag in a box).
>>
>>The most common dish in Noosa restaurants is slow cooked pork belly. Most
>>consumed wine in Oz - New Zealand sauvignon blanc.
>>
>>Cheers!
>>
>>Martin.

> I have had Kangaroo, and rather enjoyed it grilled. Queensland is a
> bit warm for wine drinking. I would think the idea of a really dense
> Syrah(shiras excuse me) on a Queensland evening would be overpowering.
> My favorite Queensland libation would have to be cold beer and a lager
> or pilsner at that. Not quite ale country.
> Joseph Coulter
> J&B Journeys
> www.josephcoulter.com
>
> 904 685 5317

You're right about heavy reds being overpowering in this climate - but only
in the warmer weather - which is about half the year. And yes we go through
a fair amount of lager in summer.

In winter (now) it gets down to a chilly 11C at night so I try to catch up
on the reds I've missed out on in the warmer months. When we do drink reds
in summer I put them in the fridge for half an hour before opening.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote on Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:31:43 +1200:

> "James Silverton" <
>>
>> It would be hard to believe the Maori were teetotalers but I have no
>> idea what alcoholic beverages they favored. Can you
>> enlighten me? Didn't some Polynesians have the disgusting
>> sounding method of chewing on starches, spitting it out and
>> letting the mess ferment?

> Historical sources are unequivocal that Polynesians, like most
> of the Indians of America north of Mexico, were without
> alcoholic beverages.

Poor deprived people! I wonder if the delight in warfare of the Maori,
Hawaians and North American Indians was a substitute? However, the
Aztecs who might have had alcohol, were fierce enough. It must have been
a pretty miserable society when, if you were not a high Aztec
aristocrat, you were not even allowed cocoa!