Posted to rec.food.cooking
Catmandy (Sheryl) Catmandy (Sheryl) is offline

Default I surrender

I cooked dinner at my friend's house last night b/c it was too hot to
stay at my house and cook. I have a/c in my bedroom only and I'm
getting sick of being a prisoner in my bedroom b/c it's a sauna in the
rest of the house.
Anyway, I cooked some chicken breasts on her small George Foreman
grill last night. it's about 5 years old and she uses it frequently.
It's a small one. You can just fit 2 pieces of chicken or 2 pork chops
on it, or a good sized london broil, with room to spare. The chicken
was nicely browned, the rub I used was slightly charred, but the
chicken was nice and moist inside. So I know it's possible with a GF.
I've done it! we both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.

We were relaxing after dinner and she noticed something in the Target
flyer: A large George Foreman Grill for under $40. It looks like the
big brother to hers. Plates don't remove. No on/off switch. No timer.
No bells and whistles. I looked at it. I googled it. I read the
reviews. I decided perhaps this is basic technology and the removable
plates are the reason the last 3 indoor grills I've had have not
cooked to my satisfaction.

So I made a conscious decision to forego ease of cleanup (I know the
trick to apply damp paper toweling to the thing as soon as you take
the food off and unplug it, then close it.. and it should wipe down
easily when cool) in favor of what I hope to be superior cooking.

I picked it up this afternoon. Its maiden voyage will be a typical
summer meal for me: london broil (marinated top round steak, about
2.3 pounds, marinated with salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar, diced onion,
etc) with asparagus. An ear of corn from the microwave will balance
out the meal.

Wouldn't it be funny if the cheapo $37 appliance does a better job of
cooking than the $100 Cuisinart Griddler? I already know my friend's
free little GF does a better job! (She bought a microwave oven at
Kohl's several years ago for $69. It came with a 12 cup coffee maker
and a small GF grill. It was a back to school special, 3 appliance
bundle... And she got 15% senior citizen discount).