Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Whatever happened to the diet plate?

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's
>>> a tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing
>>> I've seen!
>>>

>> When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
>> "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
>> consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
>> cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> Oh, yes, the "cold plate" we ordered also had two or three types of deli
> meat rolled up on the plate (but not hamburger). They often offered
> potato salad as an option instead of cottage cheese, if desired.

When I lived in NY, I was frustrated by the diners there and in NJ. They
had something listed as salad on the menu but to me it was not salad! Yes,
you would get potato salad, macaroni salad and stuff like that. But no
vegetables! And that was what I wanted.