Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Whatever happened to the diet plate?

Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that on
a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
seen!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
> seen!

They still have what they call a *diet* plate like that at Lyon's.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 20, 1:38*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> one...you could get a diet plate. *It usually consisted of a hamburger
> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. *I haven't seen anything like that on
> a menu for years. *Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. *That's a
> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. *That's the closest thing I've
> seen!

You forgot the limp lettuce leaf under the cottage cheese ;-) I
remember my mother in the 50s and 60s always ordering that because she
avoided starches when dieting to lose weight.

I've noticed, around here anyway, the current trend for a breakfast
low-fat diet plate is a low-fat egg white vegetable omelette, usually
broccoli, with sides of fresh fruit and dry whole grain toast.

I do very much like it that most restaurant chains now have to post
the nutritional content of their menus. I've noticed some retooling
of menus to make more healthful dishes, so maybe a more tasty version
of the old starchless diet plate will resurface.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
: one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
: patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
: cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that on
: a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
: tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
: seen!
I se it, or a variant, usually without the fruit, listed in many of he
diner/coffeshops in NYC. I have also seen it in Oneonta NY at a Greek
diner. I never get it becuse I don't eat cotage cheese with meaat.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that on
> a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
> seen!

Plenty of places here have that. It's very much a diner thing. Other
places let you substitute a salad or veggies for a starch side,
sometimes for an extra charge.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
>> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
>> seen!

> They still have what they call a *diet* plate like that at Lyon's.

Really? I had thought all the Lyon's had closed. My husband said there are
still a few open. We don't have any places like that here. *sigh*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jun 20, 1:38 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that on
> a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
> seen!

You forgot the limp lettuce leaf under the cottage cheese ;-) I
remember my mother in the 50s and 60s always ordering that because she
avoided starches when dieting to lose weight.

I've noticed, around here anyway, the current trend for a breakfast
low-fat diet plate is a low-fat egg white vegetable omelette, usually
broccoli, with sides of fresh fruit and dry whole grain toast.

I do very much like it that most restaurant chains now have to post
the nutritional content of their menus. I've noticed some retooling
of menus to make more healthful dishes, so maybe a more tasty version
of the old starchless diet plate will resurface.

---
Even Target has the calories listed on their menu. That's nice!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> : one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
> : patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> : cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
> on
> : a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
> : tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing
> I've
> : seen!
> I se it, or a variant, usually without the fruit, listed in many of he
> diner/coffeshops in NYC. I have also seen it in Oneonta NY at a Greek
> diner. I never get it becuse I don't eat cotage cheese with meaat.

----

Hmmm... Maybe we just don't have it here?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>> on
>> a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
>> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
>> seen!

> Plenty of places here have that. It's very much a diner thing. Other
> places let you substitute a salad or veggies for a starch side,
> sometimes for an extra charge.

----

Oh. Well, we don't have diners here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 21/06/2010 2:30 AM, Ricavito wrote:
> On Jun 20, 1:38 am, "Julie > wrote:
>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that on
>> a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
>> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
>> seen!

> You forgot the limp lettuce leaf under the cottage cheese ;-) I
> remember my mother in the 50s and 60s always ordering that because she
> avoided starches when dieting to lose weight.
>
> I've noticed, around here anyway, the current trend for a breakfast
> low-fat diet plate is a low-fat egg white vegetable omelette, usually
> broccoli, with sides of fresh fruit and dry whole grain toast.
>
> I do very much like it that most restaurant chains now have to post
> the nutritional content of their menus. I've noticed some retooling
> of menus to make more healthful dishes, so maybe a more tasty version
> of the old starchless diet plate will resurface.

This may help you, came across it the other day, mainly for the U.S. I
guess.

" What's In The Foods You Eat Search Tool

* View nutrient profiles for 13,000 foods commonly eaten in the U.S.
* Familiar portion sizes are included for each food.
* Portion sizes can be adjusted by the user."

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=17032

or

http://tinyurl.com/nwe4wx

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 20, 9:22*pm, RodS > wrote:
> On 21/06/2010 2:30 AM, Ricavito wrote:
>

> > On Jun 20, 1:38 am, "Julie > *wrote:
> >> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> >> one...you could get a diet plate. *It usually consisted of a hamburger
> >> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> >> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. *I haven't seen anything like that on
> >> a menu for years. *Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. *That's a
> >> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. *That's the closest thing I've
> >> seen!

> > You forgot the limp lettuce leaf under the cottage cheese ;-) * I
> > remember my mother in the 50s and 60s always ordering that because she
> > avoided starches when dieting to lose weight.

> > I've noticed, around here anyway, the current trend for a breakfast
> > low-fat diet plate is a low-fat egg white vegetable omelette, usually
> > broccoli, with sides of fresh fruit and dry whole grain toast.

> > I do very much like it that most restaurant chains now have to post
> > the nutritional content of their menus. * I've noticed some retooling
> > of menus to make more healthful dishes, so maybe a more tasty version
> > of the old starchless diet plate will resurface.

> This may help you, came across it the other day, mainly for the U.S. I
> guess.
>
> " What's In The Foods You Eat Search Tool
>
> * * ** View nutrient profiles for 13,000 foods commonly eaten in the U.S.
> * * ** Familiar portion sizes are included for each food.
> * * ** Portion sizes can be adjusted by the user."
>
> http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=17032
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/nwe4wx
>
> * * * *(- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia- Hide quoted text -

Thanks RodS, very kind of you to share that.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
> seen!

When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a "cold
plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always consisted of
several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of cottage cheese in
the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
>> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
>> seen!
>>

> When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
> "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
> consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
> cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.
>
> MaryL

Oh, yes, the "cold plate" we ordered also had two or three types of deli
meat rolled up on the plate (but not hamburger). They often offered potato
salad as an option instead of cottage cheese, if desired.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
>> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
>> seen!
>>

> When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
> "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
> consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
> cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.

My favorite as a child was the stuffed tomato. It was usually stuffed with
cottage cheese or tuna salad. Sometimes chicken salad. Haven't seen that
in years either!

Also haven't seen the Chef's salad on too many menus recently.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's
>>> a tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing
>>> I've seen!
>>>

>> When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
>> "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
>> consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
>> cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> Oh, yes, the "cold plate" we ordered also had two or three types of deli
> meat rolled up on the plate (but not hamburger). They often offered
> potato salad as an option instead of cottage cheese, if desired.

When I lived in NY, I was frustrated by the diners there and in NJ. They
had something listed as salad on the menu but to me it was not salad! Yes,
you would get potato salad, macaroni salad and stuff like that. But no
vegetables! And that was what I wanted.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I might be wrong about this but i think I HOP of all places stillserves the
stuffed tomato, but from our last visit, you will need a loan to eat there,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
>>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
>>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
>>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
>>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's
>>> a tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing
>>> I've seen!
>>>

>> When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
>> "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
>> consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
>> cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.

> My favorite as a child was the stuffed tomato. It was usually stuffed
> with cottage cheese or tuna salad. Sometimes chicken salad. Haven't seen
> that in years either!
>
> Also haven't seen the Chef's salad on too many menus recently.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I might be wrong about this but i think I HOP of all places stillserves the
>stuffed tomato, but from our last visit, you will need a loan to eat there,

I don't recall the ever having it, although admittedly they were never a
favorite place to eat so we didn't go there often.

I just looked online. It's not listed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I am not a fan of their burgers so when i was a kid that is what i got,
friends always got the pancakes but we had those often enough at home with
my moms home made syrup that didn't attract me and we went about six months
ago as we came across a coupon... i seem to remember dh reading me that as
an option but i had lots of points so i got their cheese burger to see if i
was right in not liking them as a kid... edible but the fries were really
good as they didn't salt them and they weren't grease soaked just crispy...
big enough portion i brought some home, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>I might be wrong about this but i think I HOP of all places stillserves
>>the stuffed tomato, but from our last visit, you will need a loan to eat
>>there,

> I don't recall the ever having it, although admittedly they were never a
> favorite place to eat so we didn't go there often.
>
> I just looked online. It's not listed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I am not a fan of their burgers so when i was a kid that is what i got,
>friends always got the pancakes but we had those often enough at home with
>my moms home made syrup that didn't attract me and we went about six
>months ago as we came across a coupon... i seem to remember dh reading me
>that as an option but i had lots of points so i got their cheese burger to
>see if i was right in not liking them as a kid... edible but the fries were
>really good as they didn't salt them and they weren't grease soaked just
>crispy... big enough portion i brought some home, Lee

At home we seemed to only get pancakes when we were too poor to get anything
else. I never really liked them and would not eat them with syrup.

At IHOP, nothing really looked good to me as a kid. I always made the
mistake of getting the chocolate chip pancakes. I would eat a bite or two
and feel really sick. Then I would wish I had ordered something else. I
wouldn't learn.

My brother liked the place because of their flavored syrups. He would get
pancakes with those. He was a big fruit lover.

As a kid, I wouldn't eat fries so wouldn't ever order anything that came
with those.

I learned to like fries as an adult. As an adult, I would order the turkey
dinner or the tuna melt at IHOP. But those are no longer on the menu.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
: > ...
: >>
: >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
: >>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
: >>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
: >>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that
: >>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's
: >>> a tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing
: >>> I've seen!
: >>>
: >>
[...]

hat is odd, as in the NYC diners I go to thee are often nice green or
greens, tomatos, cukes and some shredded vegetables served as a first
course or "house" salad. In addition, many often have the option of your
having a mescalun salad in place of french fried potaoes sith omelleettes,
wrap sandwiches, etc.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
[...]

both these items paarear on my local diner menu, the stuffed tomato among
the diet selectins and the chef salad among the many large salad main
courses.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : > "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> : >>> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a
> hamburger
> : >>> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of
> cottage
> : >>> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like
> that
> : >>> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad.
> That's
> : >>> a tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest
> thing
> : >>> I've seen!
> : >>>
> : >>
> : >> When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
> : >> "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
> : >> consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
> : >> cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.
> : >>
> : >> MaryL
> : >>
> : >>
> : >
> : > Oh, yes, the "cold plate" we ordered also had two or three types of
> deli
> : > meat rolled up on the plate (but not hamburger). They often offered
> : > potato salad as an option instead of cottage cheese, if desired.
>
> : When I lived in NY, I was frustrated by the diners there and in NJ.
> They
> : had something listed as salad on the menu but to me it was not salad!
> Yes,
> : you would get potato salad, macaroni salad and stuff like that. But no
> : vegetables! And that was what I wanted.
> hat is odd, as in the NYC diners I go to thee are often nice green or
> greens, tomatos, cukes and some shredded vegetables served as a first
> course or "house" salad. In addition, many often have the option of your
> having a mescalun salad in place of french fried potaoes sith omelleettes,
> wrap sandwiches, etc.

I did see the house salad, but I was ordering something like a cottage
cheese or tuna salad platter. When I saw that on the menu, I assumed I
would get a platter of raw veggies with a scoop or two of tuna or cottage
cheese. Instead I got maybe a lettuce leaf, the tuna or cottage cheese and
then a scoop of potato salad and pasta salad.

At one place I just kept ordering thing after thing, trying like mad to get
a green salad. Finally the waitress asked me what I wanted. I said I
wanted a plate of lettuce, maybe with some tomatoes on it. She shrugged and
said she would see if they could do that. Like my request was unusual.
This was at a diner in NJ.

I do know of one diner in NJ (Hibernia) that does have good salads on the
menu in addition to a really good salad bar. We always made it a point to
stop there on the way to PA.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> : >> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a
> hamburger
> : >> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of
> cottage
> : >> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like
> that
> : >> on a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad.
> That's a
> : >> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing
> I've
> : >> seen!
> : >>
> : >
> : > When I was a teenager, my favorite lunch when we were traveling was a
> : > "cold plate" (similar to what you called a "diet plate"). It always
> : > consisted of several types of cheese and fresh fruit with a scoop of
> : > cottage cheese in the center. Again, I haven't seen that for years.
>
> : My favorite as a child was the stuffed tomato. It was usually stuffed
> with
> : cottage cheese or tuna salad. Sometimes chicken salad. Haven't seen
> that
> : in years either!
>
> : Also haven't seen the Chef's salad on too many menus recently.
> both these items paarear on my local diner menu, the stuffed tomato among
> the diet selectins and the chef salad among the many large salad main
> courses.

Huh. Nothing like that around here, but then we don't have diners here.
There is one place that has the word "diner" in the name but it is nothing
at all like the diners on the East coast. You can get plain fish there, and
they will serve it with tomatoes instead of a starch if you want.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> wrap sandwiches, etc.

> I did see the house salad, but I was ordering something like a cottage
> cheese or tuna salad platter. When I saw that on the menu, I assumed I
> would get a platter of raw veggies with a scoop or two of tuna or cottage
> cheese. Instead I got maybe a lettuce leaf, the tuna or cottage cheese
> and then a scoop of potato salad and pasta salad.
>
> At one place I just kept ordering thing after thing, trying like mad to
> get a green salad. Finally the waitress asked me what I wanted. I said I
> wanted a plate of lettuce, maybe with some tomatoes on it. She shrugged
> and said she would see if they could do that. Like my request was
> unusual. This was at a diner in NJ.
>
> I do know of one diner in NJ (Hibernia) that does have good salads on the
> menu in addition to a really good salad bar. We always made it a point to

I just ask for a description of the item if it is not clear from the menu,
and I request substitutions as necessary. For example, I seldom eat at
IHop. When I do, I get somethng like ham and eggs and request a small bowl
of fresh fruit instead of the pancakes that they include with almost
everything. No problem! They always accomodate.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can't eat prepared maple syrup, but my mom always made fresh simple syrup
sometimes she flavored it sometimes not, i still don't eat anything but that
if i eat it... rarely now as i prefer pancakes with almond butter spread
on...
Lee

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>I am not a fan of their burgers so when i was a kid that is what i got,
>>friends always got the pancakes but we had those often enough at home with
>>my moms home made syrup that didn't attract me and we went about six
>>months ago as we came across a coupon... i seem to remember dh reading me
>>that as an option but i had lots of points so i got their cheese burger to
>>see if i was right in not liking them as a kid... edible but the fries
>>were really good as they didn't salt them and they weren't grease soaked
>>just crispy... big enough portion i brought some home, Lee

> At home we seemed to only get pancakes when we were too poor to get
> anything else. I never really liked them and would not eat them with
> syrup.
>
> At IHOP, nothing really looked good to me as a kid. I always made the
> mistake of getting the chocolate chip pancakes. I would eat a bite or two
> and feel really sick. Then I would wish I had ordered something else. I
> wouldn't learn.
>
> My brother liked the place because of their flavored syrups. He would get
> pancakes with those. He was a big fruit lover.
>
> As a kid, I wouldn't eat fries so wouldn't ever order anything that came
> with those.
>
> I learned to like fries as an adult. As an adult, I would order the
> turkey dinner or the tuna melt at IHOP. But those are no longer on the
> menu.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

they are pretty good about substitutions, and their fruit is generally
average or better, Lee

> [...]

>> At one place I just kept ordering thing after thing, trying like mad to
>> get a green salad. Finally the waitress asked me what I wanted. I said
>> I wanted a plate of lettuce, maybe with some tomatoes on it. She
>> shrugged and said she would see if they could do that. Like my request
>> was unusual. This was at a diner in NJ.
>>
>> I do know of one diner in NJ (Hibernia) that does have good salads on the
>> menu in addition to a really good salad bar. We always made it a point
>> to stop there on the way to PA.
>>

> I just ask for a description of the item if it is not clear from the menu,
> and I request substitutions as necessary. For example, I seldom eat at
> IHop. When I do, I get somethng like ham and eggs and request a small
> bowl of fresh fruit instead of the pancakes that they include with almost
> everything. No problem! They always accomodate.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]

>> At one place I just kept ordering thing after thing, trying like mad to
>> get a green salad. Finally the waitress asked me what I wanted. I said
>> I wanted a plate of lettuce, maybe with some tomatoes on it. She
>> shrugged and said she would see if they could do that. Like my request
>> was unusual. This was at a diner in NJ.
>>
>> I do know of one diner in NJ (Hibernia) that does have good salads on the
>> menu in addition to a really good salad bar. We always made it a point
>> to stop there on the way to PA.
>>

> I just ask for a description of the item if it is not clear from the menu,
> and I request substitutions as necessary. For example, I seldom eat at
> IHop. When I do, I get somethng like ham and eggs and request a small
> bowl of fresh fruit instead of the pancakes that they include with almost
> everything. No problem! They always accomodate.

Beware of their eggs. If you get something like an omelette, they put
pancake batter in it to make it fluffier.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i can't eat prepared maple syrup, but my mom always made fresh simple syrup
>sometimes she flavored it sometimes not, i still don't eat anything but
>that if i eat it... rarely now as i prefer pancakes with almond butter
>spread on...

My parents would sometimes make syrup with brown sugar and maple flavoring.
I just didn't like it. Too sweet!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i can't eat prepared maple syrup, but my mom always made fresh simple
>>syrup sometimes she flavored it sometimes not, i still don't eat anything
>>but that if i eat it... rarely now as i prefer pancakes with almond butter
>>spread on...

> My parents would sometimes make syrup with brown sugar and maple
> flavoring. I just didn't like it. Too sweet!

When I was a kid, my favorite topping was plain old boiled sugar water with
some Mapleine in it. My uncle lived with us a great deal of the time, and he
would always make crispy little silver dollar sized pancakes fried in bacon
grease for us when he was there. Now, that was good eating...and a great
memory. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

>>> I did see the house salad, but I was ordering something like a cottage
>>> cheese or tuna salad platter. When I saw that on the menu, I assumed I
>>> would get a platter of raw veggies with a scoop or two of tuna or
>>> cottage cheese. Instead I got maybe a lettuce leaf, the tuna or cottage
>>> cheese and then a scoop of potato salad and pasta salad.
>>>
>>> At one place I just kept ordering thing after thing, trying like mad to
>>> get a green salad. Finally the waitress asked me what I wanted. I said
>>> I wanted a plate of lettuce, maybe with some tomatoes on it. She
>>> shrugged and said she would see if they could do that. Like my request
>>> was unusual. This was at a diner in NJ.
>>>
>>> I do know of one diner in NJ (Hibernia) that does have good salads on
>>> the menu in addition to a really good salad bar. We always made it a
>>> point to stop there on the way to PA.
>>>

>> I just ask for a description of the item if it is not clear from the
>> menu, and I request substitutions as necessary. For example, I seldom
>> eat at IHop. When I do, I get somethng like ham and eggs and request a
>> small bowl of fresh fruit instead of the pancakes that they include with
>> almost everything. No problem! They always accomodate.

> Beware of their eggs. If you get something like an omelette, they put
> pancake batter in it to make it fluffier.

No, I just get one or two eggs "over medium." However, that's a good
warning and something I never considered. Thanks!

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

mom usually made a plain simple syrup and a bit of vanilla and real unsalted
butter, rarely cherry flavor but that was for my brothers birthday, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i can't eat prepared maple syrup, but my mom always made fresh simple
>>syrup sometimes she flavored it sometimes not, i still don't eat anything
>>but that if i eat it... rarely now as i prefer pancakes with almond butter
>>spread on...

> My parents would sometimes make syrup with brown sugar and maple
> flavoring. I just didn't like it. Too sweet!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my name is lee and i endorse this message,