Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Whatever happened to the diet plate?

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jun 20, 1:38 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Used to be in pretty much any restaurant...maybe not a really fancy
> one...you could get a diet plate. It usually consisted of a hamburger
> patty, sometimes a chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, a scoop of cottage
> cheese and some sort of canned fruit. I haven't seen anything like that on
> a menu for years. Ruby's Diner does have a hamburger salad. That's a
> tossed salad with a hamburger patty on it. That's the closest thing I've
> seen!

You forgot the limp lettuce leaf under the cottage cheese ;-) I
remember my mother in the 50s and 60s always ordering that because she
avoided starches when dieting to lose weight.

I've noticed, around here anyway, the current trend for a breakfast
low-fat diet plate is a low-fat egg white vegetable omelette, usually
broccoli, with sides of fresh fruit and dry whole grain toast.

I do very much like it that most restaurant chains now have to post
the nutritional content of their menus. I've noticed some retooling
of menus to make more healthful dishes, so maybe a more tasty version
of the old starchless diet plate will resurface.

---
Even Target has the calories listed on their menu. That's nice!