Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jello or gelatine

James wrote to Nancy2 on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:08:58 -0400:

>>> How hard would it be to mix Knox with real fruit juice?
>>>
>>> And what makes you think they've been able to reduce 100%
>>> juice into a powder and squeeze it into those Jell-O boxes?
>>> There is no such thing as powdered "real fruit flavor" in
>>> the food processing industry. You have your choice of
>>> natural or artificial, and that's it.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> If you use fresh fruit, would you have to worry about the
>> enzymes (like in fresh pineapple) that would keep it from
>> setting?

> Something I've mentioned before, British Chivers jelly cubes
> use real flavors even if they are not completely dehydrated.
> As a kid, I used to like to sneak a jelly cube and chew oni t!

I know the thread seems to be complete but I just thought I'd mention
something I saw this morning in The Guardian:
http://tinyurl.com/333672s or
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...y-making-guide

So help me, Sam Bompas and Harry Parr are "the country's foremost jelly
experts".
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland