Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jello or gelatine

Hello All!

I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal sources of
gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The commercially available
"Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors.
Leaving aside making my own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using
real fruit flavors?

I like Jello!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:

>I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal sources of
>gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The commercially available
>"Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors.
>Leaving aside making my own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using
>real fruit flavors?

Looking through the assortment I have the store brands list artificial
flavor but JELLO brand lists natural & artificial flavor, albeit the
flavoring is only 2% of the total. People don't buy gelatine dessert
mix for its produce nutritional content, it's best to add your own by
using real fruit juice in preparation instead of plain water and add
fresh fruit and veggies too. Gelatine dessert packets are really a
convenience item, nothing is stopping you from going the from scratch
route by using Knox.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal sources of
> gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The commercially available
> "Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors.
> Leaving aside making my own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using
> real fruit flavors?
>
> I like Jello!

I like Jello too, but only once in a while, especially red or green. IO
tend to think of it more in colours than flavours, since they don't
really taste like the fruits they are supposed to be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal sources of
> gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The commercially available
> "Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors.
> Leaving aside making my own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using
> real fruit flavors?
>
> I like Jello!

So buy plain and add your good fresh fruit stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:28:36 -0400:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal
>> sources of gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The
>> commercially available "Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but
>> never, AFAIK, genuine flavors. Leaving aside making my own,
>> does anyone know of gelatin desserts using real fruit
>> flavors?
>>
>> I like Jello!
>>

>So buy plain and add your good fresh fruit stuff!

But I said that already!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
>> I like Jello too, but only once in a while, especially red or green. IO
>> tend to think of it more in colours than flavours, since they don't
>> really taste like the fruits they are supposed to be.

> But in order to save your ass from getting a grilling, make sure you
> whip up some real whipped cream or the food Nazi's will be at you.

Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas in the
Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own ice cream.
Jello is comfort food for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Stu wrote:
>>> I like Jello too, but only once in a while, especially red or green. IO
>>> tend to think of it more in colours than flavours, since they don't
>>> really taste like the fruits they are supposed to be.

My kids used to say they ate Jell-O at school only when it was a new color
so they knew it was a new batch. Flavor was irrelevant.

Felice

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas in the Jello.
> I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own ice cream. Jello is
> comfort food for me.

If you want to pretend it's a real dessert, try whisking it into fluff.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> I've pureeded kiwis and added them to the jello to give flavor, would
> it not work the same for apricots?

If you put fresh kiwis in Jell-O, it will never set up
because of the enzyme they contain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidin

Cooked kiwis would be okay, because that
denatures the enzyme.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:30:33 -0400:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>> Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas
>> in the Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own
>> ice cream. Jello is comfort food for me.

> If you want to pretend it's a real dessert, try whisking it
> into fluff.

There was a dessert I liked as a kid that involved one flavor of
ordinary Jello allowed to set normally and another different flavored
batch, whipped up just as it began to set was poured over the first. It
was put in the fridge until both set firmly.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal sources of
> gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The commercially available
> "Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors.
> Leaving aside making my own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using
> real fruit flavors?
>
> I like Jello!

You can make your own using gelatin and fruit juice as long as it's not
fresh pineapple juice. There's an enzyme (papain?) in it that prevents
jelling.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Felice wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:30:33 -0400:
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas
>>> in the Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own ice
>>> cream. Jello is comfort food for me.

>> If you want to pretend it's a real dessert, try whisking it
>> into fluff.

> There was a dessert I liked as a kid that involved one flavor of ordinary
> Jello allowed to set normally and another different flavored batch,
> whipped up just as it began to set was poured over the first. It was put
> in the fridge until both set firmly.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

And then there was Jell-O's "1-2-3", which separated in a parfait glass to
three layers of different textures.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:05:19 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> There was a dessert I liked as a kid that involved one flavor of
> ordinary Jello allowed to set normally and another different flavored
> batch, whipped up just as it began to set was poured over the first. It
> was put in the fridge until both set firmly.

Finger jello? I never got that as a kid, but I made it for kid
situations like birthday and class parties. I like the stuff, but
it's a real PITA to make. The stuff I made had way more than 3
layers, more like 7, so it took all evening or most of it anyway.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:22:35 -0500, Stu wrote:
>
> > But in order to save your ass from getting a grilling, make sure you
> > whip up some real whipped cream or the food Nazi's will be at you.

> It's "food police", thank you.
>
> -sw

Gotta watch it Stu'. Lest somebody invoke Godwin's law of usenet. <G>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:36:48 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

> And then there was Jell-O's "1-2-3", which separated in a parfait glass to
> three layers of different textures.

I looked at 2 layer jello recipes that call for mixing cream in.
Apparently the jello and cream separate into two layers as it sets.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 3:05 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Felice wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:30:33 -0400:
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas
>>> in the Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own
>>> ice cream. Jello is comfort food for me.

>> If you want to pretend it's a real dessert, try whisking it
>> into fluff.

> There was a dessert I liked as a kid that involved one flavor of
> ordinary Jello allowed to set normally and another different flavored
> batch, whipped up just as it began to set was poured over the first. It
> was put in the fridge until both set firmly.

Jello shots used to be a favorite dessert before I screwed up my liver.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:08:57 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:29:49 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Entirely possibly. I've done some investigating and found British import
>> sites that offer Chivers jelly. This claims natural flavors but the
>> price asked is three to four times that of Jello. I'll have to see if I
>> can find a local store.

> "Natural Flavors" do not mean they were derived from the fruit
> which they represent. They could derived from fermented yak milk
> or Serbian fighting cocks. "Natural Flavor" just means flavor
> that was derived from natural sources. Artificial flavors could
> be made from *anything*, including fermented yak dung or Serbian
> fire ants urine.
>
> -=sw

do you have an online source for the serbian fire ant urine?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote:

>Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas
>in the Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own
>ice cream. Jello is comfort food for me.

I'm not a big fan of whipped cream, I'll have it if someone offers and
occasionally I'll buy Redi-Wip for company but I really don't get the
big deal about sweetened cream just because it's all aerated. And
maybe it's because I grew up without whipped cream, with WWII
rationing there was no cream but there was plenty of evap... I prefer
my Jello drizzled generously with evap, I like chocolate pudding (only
the cooked kind and I love the skin that forms on top), cover the
pudding with evap. And to me there is no better way to eat vanilla
ice cream then coated with evap and waiting a minute for it to freeze
into a luscious creamy crust. For most of my life I drank coffee with
evap, but about twenty years ago I went black and never looked back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:08:57 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> > that was derived from natural sources. Artificial flavors could
> > be made from *anything*, including fermented yak dung or Serbian
> > fire ants urine.

> do you have an online source for the serbian fire ant urine?

I did a Google on serbian fire ant urine and got 26,500 hits.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:08:57 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> > > that was derived from natural sources. Artificial flavors could
> > > be made from *anything*, including fermented yak dung or Serbian
> > > fire ants urine.

> > do you have an online source for the serbian fire ant urine?

> I did a Google on serbian fire ant urine and got 26,500 hits.

I did an Advanced Search for the exact phrase, and it
found nothing but it gave me 26,400 hits for sites that
had the words separately. Google switches to "not what
I asked for" mode when it can't find anything.

For example, if I search on snackipoo, it says did you
mean snackiepoo and gives me 169 hits for snackiepoo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 3:05 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> > Felice wrote on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:30:33 -0400:

> >> If you want to pretend it's a real dessert, try whisking it
> >> into fluff.

> > There was a dessert I liked as a kid that involved one flavor of
> > ordinary Jello allowed to set normally and another different flavored
> > batch, whipped up just as it began to set was poured over the first. It
> > was put in the fridge until both set firmly.
> >

> Jello shots used to be a favorite dessert before I screwed up my liver.

Take lots of Milk Thistle.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant replied to George:

>> Jello shots used to be a favorite dessert before I screwed up my liver.

> Take lots of Milk Thistle.

http://www.edible-plants.com/milkthistle.html

Around the 16th Century this plant became quite popular and almost all parts
of it were eaten. The roots can be eaten raw or boiled and buttered or
par-boiled and roasted. The young shoots in spring can be cut down to the
root and boiled and buttered. The spiny bracts on the flower head were eaten
in the past like globe artichoke, and the stems (after peeling) can be
soaked overnight to remove bitterness and then stewed. The leaves can be
trimmed of prickles and boiled and make a good spinach substitute, they can
also be added raw to salads.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote to Stu:

>> I guess that I should turn the spell checker back on ;o)

> You probably should. Then at least you'll appear to be less of a moron.
> Those don't help with apostrophes though, do they?

Wouldn't help with "should of" either.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 10:33*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:34:22 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
> > Hello All!

> > I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal sources of
> > gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The commercially available
> > "Jello" sometimes uses real sugar but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors.
> > Leaving aside making my own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using
> > real fruit flavors?

> > I like Jello!

> How hard would it be to mix Knox with real fruit juice?
>
> And what makes you think they've been able to reduce 100% juice
> into a powder and squeeze it into those Jell-O boxes? *There is no
> such thing as powdered "real fruit flavor" in the food processing
> industry. *You have your choice of natural or artificial, and
> that's it.
>
> -sw

If you use fresh fruit, would you have to worry about the enzymes
(like in fresh pineapple) that would keep it from setting?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 3:05*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Felice *wrote *on Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:30:33 -0400:
>
> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> m...

> >> Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas
> >> in the Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own
> >> ice cream. Jello is comfort food for me.

> > If you want to pretend it's a real dessert, try whisking it
> > into fluff.

> There was a dessert I liked as a kid that involved one flavor of
> ordinary Jello allowed to set normally and another different flavored
> batch, whipped up just as it began to set was poured over the first. It
> was put in the fridge until both set firmly.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

You can do that with any flavors of Jello. Whipping up partially-set
Jello was all the rage in the 60s. One popular Christmas item was
solid red, whipped red, solid green, whipped green - or both colors
whipped and separated by a plain gelatine layer with cream cheese
stirred in (red, white and green). If you can find blue, you can
celebrate the 4th of Jooly, although I'm more partial to the cake with
the strawberry/blueberry flag decor on the top. LOL.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 10:30*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Stu wrote:
> >> I like Jello too, but only once in a while, especially red or green. *IO
> >> tend to think of it more in colours than flavours, since they don't
> >> really taste like the fruits they are supposed to be.

> > But in order to save your ass from getting a grilling, make sure you
> > whip up some real whipped cream or the food Nazi's will be at you.

> Actually, I prefer it plain, or perhaps with sliced bananas in the
> Jello. I sometimes have it with ice cream, and I make my own ice cream.
> Jello is comfort food for me.

==
Jello is water in disguise.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:35:47 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> do you have an online source for the serbian fire ant urine?

>> I did a Google on serbian fire ant urine and got 26,500 hits.

> I did an Advanced Search for the exact phrase, and it
> found nothing but it gave me 26,400 hits for sites that
> had the words separately. Google switches to "not what
> I asked for" mode when it can't find anything.
>
> For example, if I search on snackipoo, it says did you
> mean snackiepoo and gives me 169 hits for snackiepoo.

jeez, i'd be tempted to say 'sheldon sure gets around,' but i know that's
not true.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:17:27 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:26:23 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> do you have an online source for the serbian fire ant urine?

> Crayfish urine is the best substitute and it's readily available
> all over the U.S.
>
> -sw

<snort>

you dog.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:56:56 -0700 (PDT):

> On Jun 12, 10:33 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:34:22 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
> >> Hello All!

> >> I know people try to gross you out by mentioning the animal
> >> sources of gelatin in desserts and it doesn't worry me. The
> >> commercially available "Jello" sometimes uses real sugar
> >> but never, AFAIK, genuine flavors. Leaving aside making my
> >> own, does anyone know of gelatin desserts using real fruit
> >> flavors?

> >> I like Jello!

>> How hard would it be to mix Knox with real fruit juice?
>>
>> And what makes you think they've been able to reduce 100%
>> juice into a powder and squeeze it into those Jell-O boxes?
>> There is no such thing as powdered "real fruit flavor" in
>> the food processing industry. You have your choice of
>> natural or artificial, and that's it.
>>
>> -sw

> If you use fresh fruit, would you have to worry about the
> enzymes (like in fresh pineapple) that would keep it from
> setting?

Something I've mentioned before, British Chivers jelly cubes use real
flavors even if they are not completely dehydrated. As a kid, I used to
like to sneak a jelly cube and chew oni t!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Something I've mentioned before, British Chivers jelly cubes use real
> flavors even if they are not completely dehydrated. As a kid, I used to
> like to sneak a jelly cube and chew oni t!

There are lots of recipes using plain gelatin, but you don't usually end up
with a Jello lookalike, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Old enough
(pre-Jello) cookbooks should have some gelatin desserts.
I'm making tomato aspic right now using leaf gelatin. It could have been
made using a different juice, but it would not likely ever be transparent
and sparkling.
The changeover from powdered to leaf has been a trip, I can tell you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to Nancy2 on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:08:58 -0400:

>>> How hard would it be to mix Knox with real fruit juice?
>>>
>>> And what makes you think they've been able to reduce 100%
>>> juice into a powder and squeeze it into those Jell-O boxes?
>>> There is no such thing as powdered "real fruit flavor" in
>>> the food processing industry. You have your choice of
>>> natural or artificial, and that's it.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> If you use fresh fruit, would you have to worry about the
>> enzymes (like in fresh pineapple) that would keep it from
>> setting?

> Something I've mentioned before, British Chivers jelly cubes
> use real flavors even if they are not completely dehydrated.
> As a kid, I used to like to sneak a jelly cube and chew oni t!

I know the thread seems to be complete but I just thought I'd mention
something I saw this morning in The Guardian:
http://tinyurl.com/333672s or
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...y-making-guide

So help me, Sam Bompas and Harry Parr are "the country's foremost jelly
experts".
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Jello KenK General Cooking 12 28-03-2010 03:50 AM
Gelatine Packages and Measurements, ca 1925 Jean B.[_1_] Historic 1 27-09-2008 11:16 PM
Jam, jelly and jello ChattyCathy General Cooking 67 13-06-2008 04:06 PM
Knox Sparkling Gelatine Jean B.[_1_] Historic 3 17-06-2007 04:12 PM
bottling after gelatine fining pp Winemaking 0 16-03-2005 01:35 AM