Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default National Martini Day

On 2010-06-13 16:40:06 -0700, Omelet said:
>> A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
>> not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
>> are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
>> and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
>> infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

> I don't like Juniper. <g>

Well there you go. Try Hendricks or Zuidam; you might well be
interested. Martin Miller too--it has a more dominane mellon quality to
it, and Lillet Blanc for vermouth tends to pull out even more non
juniperian qualities.

>> Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
>> even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
>> wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
>> unrefrigerated.

> I actually like Vermouth straight.

Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?