Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default National Martini Day

After 10 days with a godawful cold, even if there's some hacking and
wheezing, I intend to honor this day in the way it should be honored.

While looking it up online the first notable hit I got on "national
martini day" was some damn tequila drink. Feh!

Certainly who ever cobbled this holy day together for honors
undoubtedly wants to make "martini" mean as much as possible I'll be
continuing with my traditional variety. A martini is not a vodka drink,
but a gin drink. A "vodka martini" is a vodka drink. Hell, there's
probably a vodka old-fashoned and a vodka Manhattan for all those
people adverse to the taste of spirits.

Anyway, my preferred concoction (this week)

Leopold Brothers small batch gin, 5 parts
Lillet Blanc as a stand-in for a more traditionalvermouth, 1 part
Two drops Fee Bros. Lemon bitters
One small Spanish pimento-stuffed olive impaled on an antique ivory stabulator

It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
for the other 51 weeks of the year.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> After 10 days with a godawful cold, even if there's some hacking and
> wheezing, I intend to honor this day in the way it should be honored.
>
> While looking it up online the first notable hit I got on "national
> martini day" was some damn tequila drink. Feh!

There's a site called The Gin, and How To Stir It but it's not devoted
to gin drinks. In fact I didn't see one gin drink on the first page.
In any case, I'll be celebrating National Martini Day early (on the
17th) because my partner in crime and martini's will be busy on the
19th.

<snip>

> Anyway, my preferred concoction (this week)
>
> Leopold Brothers small batch gin, 5 parts
> Lillet Blanc as a stand-in for a more traditionalvermouth, 1 part
> Two drops Fee Bros. Lemon bitters
> One small Spanish pimento-stuffed olive impaled on an antique ivory stabulator
>
> It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
> for the other 51 weeks of the year.

Tune this in while you're sipping on National Martini Day or when
you're in training for the big day - if you'd like some mood music
with your martini http://www.martiniinthemorning.com

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
> > It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
> > for the other 51 weeks of the year.

> Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
> (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).
>
> -sw

I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
I make Vodka Martinis.:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
ink>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:24:52 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
>I make Vodka Martinis.:

I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
(Takes up too much room in the glass!)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:24:52 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
> >I make Vodka Martinis.:

> I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
> with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
> (Takes up too much room in the glass!)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

<grins> But I LIKE olives!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 6:24 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:16:27 -0700, gtr wrote:
>>
>>> It's worth waiting for this day each year, having practiced 2-3 times
>>> for the other 51 weeks of the year.

>> Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
>> (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).
>>
>> -sw

> I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
> I make Vodka Martinis.:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
> ink>

Pretty glass!

I make mine with 2 ounces Absolut vodka. I rinse the measuring thing
with Dry Vermouth (Usually Martini & Rossi) then shake it over ice in an
aluminum shaker. I keep the martini glasses in the freezer. I put 5
olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 7:52 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> Terry Pulliam > wrote:

>> I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
>> with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
>> (Takes up too much room in the glass!)
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> <grins> But I LIKE olives!

Veggies are healthy for you! Then again I think olives might be fruit.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 6:24 PM, Omelet wrote:
> > In >,
> > > wrote:

> >> Martinis are disgusting. I'd rather drink what Sheldon's drinking
> >> (Crystal Palace and Kool-Aid).
> >>
> >> -sw

> > I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
> > I make Vodka Martinis.:
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
> > ink>

> Pretty glass!

Thanks! :-)

> I make mine with 2 ounces Absolut vodka. I rinse the measuring thing
> with Dry Vermouth (Usually Martini & Rossi) then shake it over ice in an
> aluminum shaker. I keep the martini glasses in the freezer. I put 5
> olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.

<lol> I like that concept...
I also use Martini and Rossi.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 7:52 PM, Omelet wrote:
> > In >,
> > Terry Pulliam > wrote:

> >> I agree. The only drink I like that is made with gin is gin and tonic
> >> with plenty of lime. Vodka martinis, very, very dry, hold the garnish!
> >> (Takes up too much room in the glass!)
> >>
> >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> > <grins> But I LIKE olives!

> Veggies are healthy for you! Then again I think olives might be fruit.

Likely classified as berries... but aren't fruits as good for you as
veggies? <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:25:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I put 5
> olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.

You can count the olives as an appetizer too. Olive, the versatile
vegetable.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:25:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
> > I put 5
> > olives in mine so I can get my daily requirement of vegetables.

> You can count the olives as an appetizer too. Olive, the versatile
> vegetable.

<lol>

Your 5 servings for the day!;-D
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Subject

A question.

Why are martinis like a woman's breasts?

The answer:

Usually one is not enough and three are too many.

<sexist pig suit on>

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-12 16:24:52 -0700, Omelet said:

> I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
> I make Vodka Martinis.:

A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

A most surprising test came from a newpaper or online article that was
trying to introduce people to the real functionality of vermouth in a
gin martini. For this he suggested a few mini-tini's be constructed
where the proportions are 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1, 5 to 1 and straight
gin. We sat down and made very small martini's and tasted each.

It was amazing. The taste of the drink was not so dramatically
modified, even with the 2 to 1 mix. But the mouth-feel, texture and
finish were dramatically different. I settled in at 4 or 5 to 1 and
that's how I order them in a bar/restaurant, though frequently,
unaccustomed to making martini's with vermouth they have wide
differences. I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..

Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.

Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
unrefrigerated.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:25:32 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
> slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..

I think they have been trained by all the people who just want them to
whisper "vermouth" over the glass.

> Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.

I was surprised too about how a little more vermouth improved it and
am not so dictatorial anymore when ordering. One of these days I will
try a "perfect" (gin) martini... maybe on National Martini Day.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:45:02 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

> Subject
>
> A question.
>
> Why are martinis like a woman's breasts?
>
> The answer:
>
> Usually one is not enough and three are too many.
>
> <sexist pig suit on>
>
> Lew

i first heard that joke in the movie 'the parallax view.' it adds
something when the teller is a cocktail waitress tricked out like a dallas
cowboys cheerleader (complete with drawl) coming on to warren beatty.
followed by one of the truly great fight scenes in movie history.

(great flick in the paranoia genre, a little like 'the manchurian
candidate.' well worth seeing.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010061310253260798-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-06-12 16:24:52 -0700, Omelet said:
>
> > I like Vermouth but do not care for Gin.
> > I make Vodka Martinis.:

> A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
> not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
> are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
> and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
> infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

I don't like Juniper. <g>

> A most surprising test came from a newpaper or online article that was
> trying to introduce people to the real functionality of vermouth in a
> gin martini. For this he suggested a few mini-tini's be constructed
> where the proportions are 2 to 1, 3 to 1, 4 to 1, 5 to 1 and straight
> gin. We sat down and made very small martini's and tasted each.
>
> It was amazing. The taste of the drink was not so dramatically
> modified, even with the 2 to 1 mix. But the mouth-feel, texture and
> finish were dramatically different. I settled in at 4 or 5 to 1 and
> that's how I order them in a bar/restaurant, though frequently,
> unaccustomed to making martini's with vermouth they have wide
> differences. I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
> slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..
>
> Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.
>
> Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
> even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
> wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
> unrefrigerated.

I actually like Vermouth straight.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:16:10 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>You don't like Delilahs?

Can't say I've ever had one, but I just looked it up and I suspect I
would, as the Cointreau would kill some of the taste of the gin!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:48:12 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Okay, I think I am a little dense here. I think you are talking about
>proportions of gin to vermouth, correct? Not vermouth to gin? It is
>a little confusing, the way it is written.
>
>I ask, cause I would like to try this.

My first thought was, "Cool. We could have a blind martini tasting at
the cookin." OTOH, I'm not sure I could accommodate sleeping
arrangements for all the testers :-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-13 11:10:45 -0700, sf said:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:25:32 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
>> slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to vermouth..
>>

> I think they have been trained by all the people who just want them to
> whisper "vermouth" over the glass.
>
>> Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.

> I was surprised too about how a little more vermouth improved it and
> am not so dictatorial anymore when ordering. One of these days I will
> try a "perfect" (gin) martini... maybe on National Martini Day.

The "perfect", as I've found is with the vermouth being split between
sweet (red) vermouth and dry (white) vermouth. So there, an example
would be, say, 2 oz of Gin and a 1/2 ounce each of sweet and dry
vermouths.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-13 16:40:06 -0700, Omelet said:
>> A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
>> not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
>> are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
>> and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
>> infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

> I don't like Juniper. <g>

Well there you go. Try Hendricks or Zuidam; you might well be
interested. Martin Miller too--it has a more dominane mellon quality to
it, and Lillet Blanc for vermouth tends to pull out even more non
juniperian qualities.

>> Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
>> even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
>> wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
>> unrefrigerated.

> I actually like Vermouth straight.

Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:03:39 -0700:

>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:25:32 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>>
>>> I think they only hear "vermouth present" and then either
>>> slop it or cheat it depending on their attitude to
>>> vermouth..
>>>

>> I think they have been trained by all the people who just
>> want them to whisper "vermouth" over the glass.
>>
>>> Check the taste-test out. It's really suprising.

>> I was surprised too about how a little more vermouth improved
>> it and am not so dictatorial anymore when ordering. One of
>> these days I will try a "perfect" (gin) martini... maybe on
>> National Martini Day.

> The "perfect", as I've found is with the vermouth being split between
> sweet (red) vermouth and dry (white) vermouth. So
> there, an example would be, say, 2 oz of Gin and a 1/2 ounce
> each of sweet and dry vermouths.

Sounds like it's time to repeat the story about Oppenheimer who liked
his martinsi dry. Apparently, a bottle of vermouth was attached to the
first atomic bomb test so that afterwards, all he would have to do would
be to wave his glass of gin in the air.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:03:39 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> The "perfect", as I've found is with the vermouth being split between
> sweet (red) vermouth and dry (white) vermouth. So there, an example
> would be, say, 2 oz of Gin and a 1/2 ounce each of sweet and dry
> vermouths.

Which garnish would you use, lemon or olives? I use lemon with red
vermouth (Manhattan) and olives with white vermouth (gin Martini).
Oh, the dilemma!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:46:20 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Sounds like it's time to repeat the story about Oppenheimer who liked
> his martinsi dry. Apparently, a bottle of vermouth was attached to the
> first atomic bomb test so that afterwards, all he would have to do would
> be to wave his glass of gin in the air.

He's in the class of straight gin people who just want the bar tender
to whisper "vermouth" over the glass. I prefer a few drops of real
vermouth in mine.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:05:31 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-06-13 16:40:06 -0700, Omelet said:
> >> A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
> >> not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
> >> are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
> >> and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
> >> infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

> > I don't like Juniper. <g>

> Well there you go. Try Hendricks or Zuidam; you might well be
> interested. Martin Miller too--it has a more dominane mellon quality to
> it, and Lillet Blanc for vermouth tends to pull out even more non
> juniperian qualities.

I finally tracked down Plymouth at a restaurant bar a few months ago
and was disappointed because my martini had no flavor. Plymouth
tastes like water! I imagine Hendricks does too. Haven't heard of
Leopold Bros, Damrak or Zuidam. I prefer to try them at a bar before
investing in a bottle. I saved my money on Plymouth that way.

> >> Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
> >> even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
> >> wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
> >> unrefrigerated.

> > I actually like Vermouth straight.

> Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.

I love both of the above straight up too and never think of them as
"just" vermouth - they are an aperitif that I name when I want it.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010061410053183139-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-06-13 16:40:06 -0700, Omelet said:
> >> A few points: The first that there are a quite a few
> >> not-quite-satisfactory gins. Another is that the variety of gin flavors
> >> are pretty dramatic these days with Hendricks, Leopold Bros., Damrak
> >> and Zuidam leading the way. More floral, less juniperian. Not
> >> infrequently, it seems, non-gin drinkers don't like the juniper.

> > I don't like Juniper. <g>

> Well there you go. Try Hendricks or Zuidam; you might well be
> interested. Martin Miller too--it has a more dominane mellon quality to
> it, and Lillet Blanc for vermouth tends to pull out even more non
> juniperian qualities.

I will look for it and maybe try a "small" bottle!
Like a sampler. ;-)

> >> Another thing to consider is that frequently the vermouth is old or has
> >> even gone bad in bars and perhaps in your own pantry. Vermouth is a
> >> wine, after all, albeit fortified. It doesn't keep forever
> >> unrefrigerated.

> > I actually like Vermouth straight.

> Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.

I just get Martini and Rossi.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> > > I don't like Juniper. <g>

> > Well there you go. Try Hendricks or Zuidam; you might well be
> > interested. Martin Miller too--it has a more dominane mellon quality to
> > it, and Lillet Blanc for vermouth tends to pull out even more non
> > juniperian qualities.

> I finally tracked down Plymouth at a restaurant bar a few months ago
> and was disappointed because my martini had no flavor. Plymouth
> tastes like water! I imagine Hendricks does too. Haven't heard of
> Leopold Bros, Damrak or Zuidam. I prefer to try them at a bar before
> investing in a bottle. I saved my money on Plymouth that way.

> > > I actually like Vermouth straight.

> > Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.

> I love both of the above straight up too and never think of them as
> "just" vermouth - they are an aperitif that I name when I want it.

They are also good in sauces!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 03:32:34 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> > > I actually like Vermouth straight.

> > Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.

> I just get Martini and Rossi.

Lillet and Dubonnet are too nice to sip to waste them by mixing with
gin. Buy some Noilly Prat if you want to use better stuff. Might as
well if you're going to buy Hendricks.

You said you don't like the taste of juniper? Have you tried Bombay
Sapphire?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> > > Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both
> > > colors.

> > I just get Martini and Rossi.

> Lillet and Dubonnet are too nice to sip to waste them by mixing with
> gin. Buy some Noilly Prat if you want to use better stuff. Might as
> well if you're going to buy Hendricks.
>
> You said you don't like the taste of juniper? Have you tried Bombay
> Sapphire?

No, but I'm saving this post and will print it out for my next trip to
the liquor store. ;-)

I'm always up for an eduction...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant had a funny misspelling:

> I'm always up for an eduction...

From dictionary.com:

| e·duce (i-doos', i-dyoos')
| tr.v. e·duced, e·duc·ing, e·duc·es
|
| To draw or bring out; elicit. See Synonyms at evoke.
|
| To assume or work out from given facts; deduce.

No, you're not up for *anything* like rational thought or dialogue!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-14 12:06:35 -0700, sf said:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:03:39 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> The "perfect", as I've found is with the vermouth being split between
>> sweet (red) vermouth and dry (white) vermouth. So there, an example
>> would be, say, 2 oz of Gin and a 1/2 ounce each of sweet and dry
>> vermouths.

> Which garnish would you use, lemon or olives?

For me, lemon. Olive and onion seem wrong if sweet vermouth is involved.

> I use lemon with red vermouth (Manhattan)

Yeah, a Manhattan sans bourbon with gin instead? :-) I've always
called a martini with sweet vermouth a Sunshine. That's what the wife
drinks when I'm having a martini.

> ...and olives with white vermouth (gin Martini). Oh, the dilemma!

--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-14 12:23:37 -0700, sf said:

> I finally tracked down Plymouth at a restaurant bar a few months ago
> and was disappointed because my martini had no flavor.

Yeah, I've heard it called a quintessential martini gin. I too found it
a bit "light".

> Plymouth tastes like water! I imagine Hendricks does too.

I don't see any connection. Hendricks is dramatically different from Plymouth.

> Haven't heard of Leopold Bros, Damrak or Zuidam. I prefer to try them
> at a bar before
> investing in a bottle. I saved my money on Plymouth that way.

Absolutely. If you can find them. Which you probably never will.
I've seen Leopold (apparently the "Bros." part is simply the
manufacturer) only once--the first time I tried it. Damrak only once
and Zuidam never.

>> Hell, yes. I like both the Lillet red and white and Dubonnet in both colors.

> I love both of the above straight up too and never think of them as
> "just" vermouth - they are an aperitif that I name when I want it.

Agreed. The distinction between "vermouth" and a fortified wine
"apertif" would be semantic torture.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-15 02:19:14 -0700, Omelet said:

>> You said you don't like the taste of juniper? Have you tried Bombay
>> Sapphire?

> No, but I'm saving this post and will print it out for my next trip to
> the liquor store. ;-)
>
> I'm always up for an eduction...

Sapphire's predominant taste quality is Juniper. It's not as strident
as Beefeater's or Tanq Ten, but it's not in the category of these newer
"floral" types mentioned above.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:14:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> Sapphire's predominant taste quality is Juniper. It's not as strident
> as Beefeater's or Tanq Ten, but it's not in the category of these newer
> "floral" types mentioned above.

Interesting you would say that. I think Sapphire's taste is different
from regular gin and have heard it disparaged as being "too floral",
so maybe that's what people are supposed to say when they dis a gin.
I dunno, I just enjoy it in my martini.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:53 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:46:20 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>
>> Sounds like it's time to repeat the story about Oppenheimer who liked
>> his martinsi dry. Apparently, a bottle of vermouth was attached to the
>> first atomic bomb test so that afterwards, all he would have to do would
>> be to wave his glass of gin in the air.

> He's in the class of straight gin people who just want the bar tender
> to whisper "vermouth" over the glass.

then you taste it and say 'loudmouth.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:53 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:46:20 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>
>> Sounds like it's time to repeat the story about Oppenheimer who liked
>> his martinsi dry. Apparently, a bottle of vermouth was attached to the
>> first atomic bomb test so that afterwards, all he would have to do would
>> be to wave his glass of gin in the air.

> He's in the class of straight gin people who just want the bar tender
> to whisper "vermouth" over the glass.

then you taste it and say 'loudmouth.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:08:42 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:53 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:46:20 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like it's time to repeat the story about Oppenheimer who liked
> >> his martinsi dry. Apparently, a bottle of vermouth was attached to the
> >> first atomic bomb test so that afterwards, all he would have to do would
> >> be to wave his glass of gin in the air.

> > He's in the class of straight gin people who just want the bar tender
> > to whisper "vermouth" over the glass.

> then you taste it and say 'loudmouth.'

You're hiccupping too!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:08:42 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:53 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:46:20 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like it's time to repeat the story about Oppenheimer who liked
> >> his martinsi dry. Apparently, a bottle of vermouth was attached to the
> >> first atomic bomb test so that afterwards, all he would have to do would
> >> be to wave his glass of gin in the air.

> > He's in the class of straight gin people who just want the bar tender
> > to whisper "vermouth" over the glass.

> then you taste it and say 'loudmouth.'

LOL

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-16 12:18:45 -0700, sf said:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:14:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> Sapphire's predominant taste quality is Juniper. It's not as strident
>> as Beefeater's or Tanq Ten, but it's not in the category of these newer
>> "floral" types mentioned above.

> Interesting you would say that. I think Sapphire's taste is different
> from regular gin and have heard it disparaged as being "too floral",
> so maybe that's what people are supposed to say when they dis a gin.
> I dunno, I just enjoy it in my martini.

Yeah, I do too. There's only one resolution for such matters:
Taste-tests, highly subjective and relaxing!
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Chocolate Martini International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 28-09-2005 11:38 AM
best martini site martini lover Coffee 0 13-04-2005 02:55 AM
The Modern Martini LoudObnoxiousThemeShirts General 0 20-01-2005 07:13 PM
MARTINI RECIPE'S REQ'D LoudObnoxiousThemeShirts General 0 20-01-2005 07:12 PM
martini question dan General 0 17-01-2005 10:07 PM