Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate

On Jun 9, 3:11*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:48:39 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
>
> > The no knead method I use works really well. *I have my own sourdough
> > starter and I use it in a no knead methodology and I get wonderful
> > results.

> These were the current fad, not sourdough starter.
>

> > What happened when you tried those methods? *What didn't work for you?

> Basically they were too "heavy" when fully cooked. *They looked and
> acted great until eating time. *Did the knock test, sounded good but
> it wasn't. *baked one batch using the covered dutch oven method and
> the other batch directly on tile. *Neither one was a do over AFAIWC.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

When you say 'heavy' was the texture gummy or sticky or wet?

I've experimented with the no knead a lot and I've found that the
lightest and best interior took a longer rising time
than what the original recipe called for. The no knead recipe
Bittman used called for 4 hours, usually I let mine sit
for about 6 and it is much better. But it may be because I use
sourdough starter ...

The covered dutch oven method works great, but I've found that instead
of the baking time after you remove the lid being
15 - 20 minutes, I need to let it go for about 30 to make sure the
interior is light.

I guess it's all in if you are willing to play with the methodology
till you find what works for you. I'm glad I did because
I really like being able to put bread to rise in the morning and have
a hot fresh loaf for dinner that evening.