Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Foods to help insomnia, and foods to avoid

Cheryl wrote:

> I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

I find that eating protein-rich foods or taking vitamins
late in the day is bad for sleep. Certain amino acids
in protein are precursors for neurotransmitters, and
I think that they interfere with sleep by making my brain
busy with thought.

I tried taking melatonin, and that works for me, but
it has to be taken immediately before trying to sleep.
The effect doesn't seem to last too long. I also have
found that wearing a blindfold helps a lot, because
even a little light is disturbing to sleep. However,
I stopped doing both things for a while because I was
sleeping too long (9-10 hours), and that was giving me
symptoms like dizziness during the day. After doing
some searches, I discovered that long sleep is
associated with adverse health effects, though different
effects from short sleep.

Now, I've resumed using the blindfold but not the
melatonin. And I don't use the blindfold to sleep late,
as I had been doing.