Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods to help insomnia, and foods to avoid

I heard a story on the radio tonight driving home from work about foods that
can help you sleep better, and those that will interfere with falling
asleep. We all know that most people are impacted by caffeine intake at
night, but some of those to avoid were interesting. Such as certain
proteins.

I couldn't find the story on the radio's web site but found this by
searching Google:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...d-and-diet.htm

I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 8:24*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I heard a story on the radio tonight driving home from work about foods that
> can help you sleep better, and those that will interfere with falling
> asleep. *We all know that most people are impacted by caffeine intake at
> night, but some of those to avoid were interesting. *Such as certain
> proteins.
>
> I couldn't find the story on the radio's web site but found this by
> searching Google:http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...d-and-diet.htm
>
> I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

Para mi, it's chocolate anytime after 8 pm. Coke, coffee, ...never.

I have heard that chewing a small cracker or two just before helps
sleep come. Something about a bit of carb in the system.

Also, get more fresh air during the day. Seems to help a lot to get
outside and work in the yard or garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 8:24*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I heard a story on the radio tonight driving home from work about foods that
> can help you sleep better, and those that will interfere with falling
> asleep. *We all know that most people are impacted by caffeine intake at
> night, but some of those to avoid were interesting. *Such as certain
> proteins.
>
> I couldn't find the story on the radio's web site but found this by
> searching Google:http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...d-and-diet.htm
>
> I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

I slept best when I worked pick and shovel all day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:24:59 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>I heard a story on the radio tonight driving home from work about foods that
>can help you sleep better, and those that will interfere with falling
>asleep. We all know that most people are impacted by caffeine intake at
>night, but some of those to avoid were interesting. Such as certain
>proteins.
>
>I couldn't find the story on the radio's web site but found this by
>searching Google:
>http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...d-and-diet.htm
>
>I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

Carby foods certainly work on me - one of several reasons why I
normally tend to avoid them, especially during the day (albeit not
religiously).

The g/f makes porridge with milk when she can't sleep, which is
usually quite effective on her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:01:32 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

> Carby foods certainly work on me - one of several reasons why I
> normally tend to avoid them, especially during the day (albeit not
> religiously).

When I was low-carbing, I couldn't sleep unless I ate some carbs..
Sometimes a couple-few tablespoons of metamucil or plain psyllium
husk worked, but give me two pieces of generic white bread and my
eyes would start to water and this warm, satisfied feeling came
over me and it was lights out.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:44:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:01:32 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Carby foods certainly work on me - one of several reasons why I
>> normally tend to avoid them, especially during the day (albeit not
>> religiously).

>When I was low-carbing, I couldn't sleep unless I ate some carbs..
>Sometimes a couple-few tablespoons of metamucil or plain psyllium
>husk worked, but give me two pieces of generic white bread and my
>eyes would start to water and this warm, satisfied feeling came
>over me and it was lights out.

And that is the problem with refined carbs - they have that effect and
thus become so very, very addictive. Hence the legions of obese and
diabetic people in the west.

I went low carb back in early 2003, did wonders for me in more ways
than one. I discovered I had a wheat intolerance for one thing, and my
excess weight plummeted. Did you notice any 'ketosis'? I did, for a
few days... once through that I was fine, and have been ever since.

My diet is still fairly low carb compared to the average diet - I
avoid grains (although not religiously) and went back to eating
potatoes some time back (I love them too much!).

I've been able to maintain my ideal weight in the past 3 or so years
without any struggle, I'm sure my fanaticism for fresh organic produce
and fairly physical lifestyle has a lot to do with that though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"atec7 7" wrote:

> Not everyone is prepared to go solo lew

Solo?

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:59:28 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:44:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:01:32 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>>> Carby foods certainly work on me - one of several reasons why I
>>> normally tend to avoid them, especially during the day (albeit not
>>> religiously).

>>When I was low-carbing, I couldn't sleep unless I ate some carbs..
>>Sometimes a couple-few tablespoons of metamucil or plain psyllium
>>husk worked, but give me two pieces of generic white bread and my
>>eyes would start to water and this warm, satisfied feeling came
>>over me and it was lights out.

> And that is the problem with refined carbs - they have that effect and
> thus become so very, very addictive. Hence the legions of obese and
> diabetic people in the west.

Oh, so you're turning this into a US bashing thread.

Hate to say it, but people from all over the world are eating
bread, pasta and rice and have been for thousands and thousands of
years. I eat less carbs than the average Chinese, French or
Italian. And probably more than any festering little Australian,
too.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> I believe lettuce is supposed to help but it's not a food that
> appeals for bedtime

Steam lettuce, liquefy it in a food processor, and fold
into a sweet custard. Let solidify.

(You try it first.)

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Janet Baraclough > wrote:
>
>> I believe lettuce is supposed to help but it's not a food that
>> appeals for bedtime

> Steam lettuce, liquefy it in a food processor, and fold
> into a sweet custard. Let solidify.
>
> (You try it first.)
>
> S.

Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the surface.
Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and smoke it.
It's called lettuce opium.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote in message

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>>
>> Steam lettuce, liquefy it in a food processor, and fold
>> into a sweet custard. Let solidify.
>>
>> (You try it first.)
>>
>> S.

> Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the
> surface. Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and
> smoke it. It's called lettuce opium.
>
> Ms P

Why, Ms P! I thought you were kidding until I googled "lettuce opium"!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:52:18 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

> "Ms P" > wrote in message
>
> > Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the
> > surface. Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and
> > smoke it. It's called lettuce opium.
> >
> > Ms P

> Why, Ms P! I thought you were kidding until I googled "lettuce opium"!

LOL That makes me wonder how she knew about it in the first place!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/03/10 11:43 AM, sometime in the recent past Ms P posted this:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Janet Baraclough > wrote:
>>
>>> I believe lettuce is supposed to help but it's not a food that
>>> appeals for bedtime

>> Steam lettuce, liquefy it in a food processor, and fold
>> into a sweet custard. Let solidify.
>>
>> (You try it first.)
>>
>> S.

> Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the
> surface. Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and
> smoke it. It's called lettuce opium.
>
> Ms P

I believe this requires a specific type of 'wild lettuce' and it's a story
that's been kicking around since the '70's. By the time you go through the
above process, you'll be too tired to smoke it ;-)

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

I find that eating protein-rich foods or taking vitamins
late in the day is bad for sleep. Certain amino acids
in protein are precursors for neurotransmitters, and
I think that they interfere with sleep by making my brain
busy with thought.

I tried taking melatonin, and that works for me, but
it has to be taken immediately before trying to sleep.
The effect doesn't seem to last too long. I also have
found that wearing a blindfold helps a lot, because
even a little light is disturbing to sleep. However,
I stopped doing both things for a while because I was
sleeping too long (9-10 hours), and that was giving me
symptoms like dizziness during the day. After doing
some searches, I discovered that long sleep is
associated with adverse health effects, though different
effects from short sleep.

Now, I've resumed using the blindfold but not the
melatonin. And I don't use the blindfold to sleep late,
as I had been doing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> On 06/03/10 11:43 AM, sometime in the recent past Ms P posted this:

>>> Steam lettuce, liquefy it in a food processor, and fold
>>> into a sweet custard. Let solidify.
>>>
>>> (You try it first.)
>>>
>>> S.

>> Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the
>> surface. Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and
>> smoke it. It's called lettuce opium.
>>
>> Ms P

> I believe this requires a specific type of 'wild lettuce' and it's a story
> that's been kicking around since the '70's. By the time you go through the
> above process, you'll be too tired to smoke it ;-)
>
> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Nope. Plain old iceberg works and it don't take long to make.

Ms P <---- old hippy biker chick

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 5:06*pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "Wilson" > wrote in message

> >> Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the
> >> surface. Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and
> >> smoke it. It's called lettuce opium.

> >> Ms P

> > I believe this requires a specific type of 'wild lettuce' and it's a story
> > that's been kicking around since the '70's. By the time you go through the
> > above process, you'll be too tired to smoke it ;-)

> > --
> > Wilson 44.69, -67.3

> Nope. *Plain old iceberg works and it don't take long to make.
>
> Ms P <---- old hippy biker chick- Hide quoted text -

I sleep best now when I've been bit and there's a full moon what I
don't care for. It disturbs me like you wouldn't believe. A collar
of silver around me I keep, around my neck. So like **** man I don't
sleep whenever I'm disturbed by moonlight. I want to growl and all
kind of shit. Transformation happens if my collar's off; my body
changes. AhhAhhHoooooooooooooHoooooooooooHoooooo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message >
> from A Moose In Love > contains these words:
>
> > On Jun 2, 8:24 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> > > I heard a story on the radio tonight driving home from work about
> > > foods that
> > > can help you sleep better,

> milk, honey and malt.
>
> I believe lettuce is supposed to help but it's not a food that appeals
> for bedtime
>

> Janet

Used to have warm milk with malt syrup in it before my music exams.
Really did work nicely.

Now I use valerian; the milk/malt thing doesn't do it these days
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I heard a story on the radio tonight driving home from work about foods that
> can help you sleep better, and those that will interfere with falling
> asleep. We all know that most people are impacted by caffeine intake at
> night, but some of those to avoid were interesting. Such as certain
> proteins.
>
> I couldn't find the story on the radio's web site but found this by
> searching Google:
> http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...d-and-diet.htm
>
> I definitely suffer insomnia so it is of interest to me.

My best route to a sleep-coma is lots of carbs! Preferably pasta. Seems
to work better than bread or potatoes. As long as there's not too much
fat with the carbs, nice sound sleep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Liquefy in a blender, boil and skim off the foam that rises to the
> surface. Put the foam into a pan and let dry. When dry scrape it off and
> smoke it. It's called lettuce opium.

I'm definitely taking your word for that one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...

> Cheryl,
>
> I usually skip dinner.
>
> If I do have dinner, I don't sleep as well. I guess it's a stage of life
> thing.
>
> Maybe try a carton of yogurt to help settle the stomach/digestive system?

Actually I eat yogurt most mornings for breakfast, and my dr had me take
probiotics for a few weeks. Helped for a while, but not completely. My
favorite yogurt is Light and Fit pineapple coconut flavor. Yummy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:30:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:59:28 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:44:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>When I was low-carbing, I couldn't sleep unless I ate some carbs..
>>>Sometimes a couple-few tablespoons of metamucil or plain psyllium
>>>husk worked, but give me two pieces of generic white bread and my
>>>eyes would start to water and this warm, satisfied feeling came
>>>over me and it was lights out.

>> And that is the problem with refined carbs - they have that effect and
>> thus become so very, very addictive. Hence the legions of obese and
>> diabetic people in the west.

>Oh, so you're turning this into a US bashing thread.

"The term Western countries (sometimes the West or the Occident) is
somewhat imprecisely defined - derived from the old dualism of East
(Asia) and West (Europe) - now used to refer to wealthy and
industrialised countries, as the inheritants of European societies,
and their colonial legacies. The term is sometimes used as a synonym
for the Western societies.

Depending on context, the Western countries may be restricted to the
founding members of NATO in addition to Germany, Spain, and the
non-aligned Austria, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland. A broader
definition might extend to Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea,
the Republic of China (Taiwan), Israel and some of the more prosperous
Warsaw Pact states."

http://www.fact-index.com/w/we/western_countries.html

>Hate to say it, but people from all over the world are eating
>bread, pasta and rice and have been for thousands and thousands of
>years. I eat less carbs than the average Chinese, French or
>Italian. And probably more than any festering little Australian,
>too.
>
>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:57:58 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:30:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:59:28 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

>>> And that is the problem with refined carbs - they have that effect and
>>> thus become so very, very addictive. Hence the legions of obese and
>>> diabetic people in the west.

>>Oh, so you're turning this into a US bashing thread.

> "The term Western countries (sometimes the West or the Occident) is
> somewhat imprecisely defined - derived from the old dualism of East
> (Asia) and West (Europe) - now used to refer to wealthy and
> industrialised countries, as the inheritants of European societies,
> and their colonial legacies. The term is sometimes used as a synonym
> for the Western societies.
>
> Depending on context, the Western countries may be restricted to the
> founding members of NATO in addition to Germany, Spain, and the
> non-aligned Austria, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland. A broader
> definition might extend to Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea,
> the Republic of China (Taiwan), Israel and some of the more prosperous
> Warsaw Pact states."
>
> http://www.fact-index.com/w/we/western_countries.html

You're right, it's never considered to be North America.

Lay off the crack and pedal forward.

-sw

Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds graham[_4_] General Cooking 29 10-07-2015 08:32 AM
foods name riche Diabetic 4 02-10-2014 08:08 AM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 05:31 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy kungfuer[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 08:23 AM
Foods to Avoid? Robert Vegan 70 07-08-2004 09:15 AM