Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_14_] Jeßus[_14_] is offline

Default Foods to help insomnia, and foods to avoid

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:44:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:01:32 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Carby foods certainly work on me - one of several reasons why I
>> normally tend to avoid them, especially during the day (albeit not
>> religiously).

>When I was low-carbing, I couldn't sleep unless I ate some carbs..
>Sometimes a couple-few tablespoons of metamucil or plain psyllium
>husk worked, but give me two pieces of generic white bread and my
>eyes would start to water and this warm, satisfied feeling came
>over me and it was lights out.

And that is the problem with refined carbs - they have that effect and
thus become so very, very addictive. Hence the legions of obese and
diabetic people in the west.

I went low carb back in early 2003, did wonders for me in more ways
than one. I discovered I had a wheat intolerance for one thing, and my
excess weight plummeted. Did you notice any 'ketosis'? I did, for a
few days... once through that I was fine, and have been ever since.

My diet is still fairly low carb compared to the average diet - I
avoid grains (although not religiously) and went back to eating
potatoes some time back (I love them too much!).

I've been able to maintain my ideal weight in the past 3 or so years
without any struggle, I'm sure my fanaticism for fresh organic produce
and fairly physical lifestyle has a lot to do with that though.