Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Escolar

pavane wrote on Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:56:05 -0400:

> "notbob" > wrote in message

|> On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:
|>
| >> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
|>
|> How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system
|> can tolerate!?
|>
|> YOU eat it and then tell US!!

> Escolar has a well documented history of digestive
> problems and GI upset. *In all probability* it will cause
> similar problems; it tastes good, one of my favorite sushis,
> but the side effects can be nasty. I agree that he should
> try it, but he should be cautious and aware. The indigestible
> components of escolar are well known and real. Mark should
> be congratulated for asking, not criticized.

It's a statistic of one of course and unreliable as a general guide but
I had two pieces of escolar about 1 1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inches in a sushi
sashimi platter. I asked the chef what it was and he said "white tuna".
It tasted so good that I actually posted a comment in alt.food.sushi and
then came down with 24 hours of Montezuma's revenge just afterwards.
I've never been back to that restaurant.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland