Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Escolar

I spotted some escolar at an Asian food store, frozen
steaks. I was tempted to try it, but the Wikipedia
entry is a bit scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

Although my digestive system seems to be working
excellently, I attribute that to avoiding things like
this.

To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
Is it some really great fish that must be tried?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 4:20*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I spotted some escolar at an Asian food store, frozen
> steaks. *I was tempted to try it, but the Wikipedia
> entry is a bit scary.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>
> Although my digestive system seems to be working
> excellently, I attribute that to avoiding things like
> this.
>
> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
> Is it some really great fish that must be tried?

Symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea,
headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
I think that's enough to turn me off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?

How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system can
tolerate!?

YOU eat it and then tell US!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message ...
| On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:
|
| > To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
|
| How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system can
| tolerate!?
|
| YOU eat it and then tell US!!

Escolar has a well documented history of digestive
problems and GI upset. *In all probability* it will cause
similar problems; it tastes good, one of my favorite sushis,
but the side effects can be nasty. I agree that he should
try it, but he should be cautious and aware. The indigestible
components of escolar are well known and real. Mark should
be congratulated for asking, not criticized.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?

> How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system can
> tolerate!?
>
> YOU eat it and then tell US!!
>
> nb

And be sure to describe the results in gory detail. <lol>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-01 16:20:19 -0700, Mark Thorson said:

> I spotted some escolar at an Asian food store, frozen
> steaks. I was tempted to try it, but the Wikipedia
> entry is a bit scary.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>
> Although my digestive system seems to be working
> excellently, I attribute that to avoiding things like
> this.
>
> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
> Is it some really great fish that must be tried?

We just had a long tedious battle over it a couple of months ago when I
first got here. Many don't want to try it or have tried it, but still
don't want to eat it. Then there's those like swertz who thinks anyone
who won't eat it is a "butt****" among other enlightening views.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote:

>We just had a long tedious battle over it a couple of months ago when I
>first got here. Many don't want to try it or have tried it, but still
>don't want to eat it. Then there's those like swertz who thinks anyone
>who won't eat it is a "butt****" among other enlightening views.

Might as well get used to eating oilfish anyway.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-02, pavane > wrote:

> but the side effects can be nasty. I agree that he should
> try it, but he should be cautious and aware. The indigestible
> components of escolar are well known and real. Mark should
> be congratulated for asking, not criticized.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....

The wiki link he provided made that all abundantly clear. Bottom line
is, my tummy and your tummy are not his tummy and he can ask every
person in the known universe and it will do him NO good. Pretty much
a case of painfully shit or get out of the kitchen, to paraphrase a
couple unrelated maxims.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-02, gtr > wrote:

> don't want to eat it. Then there's those like swertz who thinks anyone
> who won't eat it is a "butt****".....

Well, I won't go quite that far, but it is pretty stupid to ask how it
affects everyone else.

"Hi. I'm a dolt. If I eat a food that makes almost everyone of the
homo sapien species crap like an Ex-Lax lab rat, will I be adversely
affected"?

Duh.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 4:20*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> I spotted some escolar at an Asian food store, frozen
> steaks. *I was tempted to try it, but the Wikipedia
> entry is a bit scary.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>
> Although my digestive system seems to be working
> excellently, I attribute that to avoiding things like
> this.

Enjoy some raw candlenuts while you're at it -- a favorite Scout prank
in Hawaii.

> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
> Is it some really great fish that must be tried?

Nothing's tasty enough to compensate for anal leakage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote on Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:56:05 -0400:

> "notbob" > wrote in message

|> On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:
|>
| >> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
|>
|> How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system
|> can tolerate!?
|>
|> YOU eat it and then tell US!!

> Escolar has a well documented history of digestive
> problems and GI upset. *In all probability* it will cause
> similar problems; it tastes good, one of my favorite sushis,
> but the side effects can be nasty. I agree that he should
> try it, but he should be cautious and aware. The indigestible
> components of escolar are well known and real. Mark should
> be congratulated for asking, not criticized.

It's a statistic of one of course and unreliable as a general guide but
I had two pieces of escolar about 1 1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inches in a sushi
sashimi platter. I asked the chef what it was and he said "white tuna".
It tasted so good that I actually posted a comment in alt.food.sushi and
then came down with 24 hours of Montezuma's revenge just afterwards.
I've never been back to that restaurant.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Steve Pope wrote:

> Might as well get used to eating oilfish anyway.

Ouch ;D Particularly if it's harvested from the Gulf (of Mexico), eh?!!
:/

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have white tuna or escolar on a sashimi platter often at out
favorite sushi joint. Neither my hubby nor I have ever had any
problems. It is about 5 pieces 1/3" thich by 2" X 4". The flavor is
so delicate and good, if it doesn't bother you, it will become a
favorite. Now in larger quantities, I have no idea, and your gut and
what it will tolerate is unique to you. You could try an ala carte
serving of white tuna at a sushi place and see what happens. Our place
serves 2 slices the size mentioned above for it's ala carte white
tuna. Good Luck. Nan in DE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote on Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:08:56 -0700 (PDT):

> We have white tuna or escolar on a sashimi platter often at
> out favorite sushi joint. Neither my hubby nor I have ever had
> any problems. It is about 5 pieces 1/3" thich by 2" X 4".
> The flavor is so delicate and good, if it doesn't bother you,
> it will become a favorite. Now in larger quantities, I have
> no idea, and your gut and what it will tolerate is unique to
> you. You could try an ala carte serving of white tuna at a
> sushi place and see what happens. Our place serves 2 slices
> the size mentioned above for it's ala carte white tuna. Good
> Luck. Nan in DE

I'm glad you can eat it, unlike me and a lot of Japanese. I won't try
again; once bitten, twice shy.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> It's a statistic of one of course and unreliable as a general guide but
> I had two pieces of escolar about 1 1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inches in a sushi
> sashimi platter. I asked the chef what it was and he said "white tuna".
> It tasted so good that I actually posted a comment in alt.food.sushi and
> then came down with 24 hours of Montezuma's revenge just afterwards.
> I've never been back to that restaurant.

Even if it's just an individual reaction,
that convinces me not to try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-02 11:01:00 -0700, Mark Thorson said:

> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> It's a statistic of one of course and unreliable as a general guide but
>> I had two pieces of escolar about 1 1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inches in a sushi
>> sashimi platter. I asked the chef what it was and he said "white tuna".
>> It tasted so good that I actually posted a comment in alt.food.sushi and
>> then came down with 24 hours of Montezuma's revenge just afterwards.
>> I've never been back to that restaurant.

> Even if it's just an individual reaction,
> that convinces me not to try it.

Whatever info you use to make your decisions, it's your choice. I have
avoided Escolar as a result of the Japanese government banning it as a
"food substance". This, and the reports others have had of diarrhea.
Sure, I may not be stricken--but I'd too can avoid both the malady AND
the fear of malady. Amazingly, there are almost always other things to
eat then Escolar. If on a desert island with the one fish, I'll eat it
with gusto!

On that topic: US has banned Brazilian dende oil (a palm oil) as a
"food substance". It can, however be imported as a machine oil, but
can't then be distributed as a non-machine oil. Instead I buy it
occasionally in the Brazilian shops in LA.

The last small bottle I got sat in the pantry for about two years
before I threw it away. Frankly, when I consider making vatapá or
moqueca I wonder whether I want the additional "labor" inherent to the
task. Then defer.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:28:15 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Jun 1, 4:20*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> I spotted some escolar at an Asian food store, frozen
>> steaks. *I was tempted to try it, but the Wikipedia
>> entry is a bit scary.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>>
>> Although my digestive system seems to be working
>> excellently, I attribute that to avoiding things like
>> this.
>>
>> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
>> Is it some really great fish that must be tried?

> Symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea,
> headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
> I think that's enough to turn me off.

We had this very long, heated discussion (or at least *I* did)
about 3 weeks ago. How could you miss the thread?

(Piggybacking due to killfile)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:56:05 -0400, pavane wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message ...
>| On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>|
>|> To you who have eaten escolar, is it worth the risk?
>|
>| How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system can
>| tolerate!?
>|
>| YOU eat it and then tell US!!
>
> Escolar has a well documented history of digestive
> problems and GI upset. *In all probability* it will cause
> similar problems; it tastes good, one of my favorite sushis,
> but the side effects can be nasty. I agree that he should
> try it, but he should be cautious and aware. The indigestible
> components of escolar are well known and real. Mark should
> be congratulated for asking, not criticized.

He shouldn't be congratulated for bringing it up again after only
a few weeks of a well-documented thread.

I've eaten it several- times and have experienced no ill effects.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:43:16 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> It's a statistic of one of course and unreliable as a general guide but
> I had two pieces of escolar about 1 1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inches in a sushi
> sashimi platter. I asked the chef what it was and he said "white tuna".
> It tasted so good that I actually posted a comment in alt.food.sushi and
> then came down with 24 hours of Montezuma's revenge just afterwards.
> I've never been back to that restaurant.

Even you don't remember that you started a long, argumentative
thread here about it about 4 weeks ago?

Are you really that brain dead?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...66061bfe?hl=en

Also note that you already *had* come down with it when you posted
it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:43:55 -0700, gtr wrote:

> We just had a long tedious battle over it a couple of months ago when I
> first got here. Many don't want to try it or have tried it, but still
> don't want to eat it. Then there's those like swertz who thinks anyone
> who won't eat it is a "butt****" among other enlightening views.

Was it butt****?

I was commenting on you're telling people not to eat it, based on
your never having eaten it. Just like Bob is saying now.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message ...
| On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:56:05 -0400, pavane wrote:
|
| > "notbob" > wrote in message ...
| >| On 2010-06-01, Mark Thorson > wrote:
| >|
| >|
| >| How the heck can anyone else know what your digestive system can
| >| tolerate!?
| >|
| >| YOU eat it and then tell US!!
| >
| > Escolar has a well documented history of digestive
| > problems and GI upset. *In all probability* it will cause
| > similar problems; it tastes good, one of my favorite sushis,
| > but the side effects can be nasty. I agree that he should
| > try it, but he should be cautious and aware. The indigestible
| > components of escolar are well known and real. Mark should
| > be congratulated for asking, not criticized.
|
| He shouldn't be congratulated for bringing it up again after only
| a few weeks of a well-documented thread.
|
| I've eaten it several- times and have experienced no ill effects.

Best wishes for continued good luck.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 02:30:37 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-06-02, gtr > wrote:
>
>> don't want to eat it. Then there's those like swertz who thinks anyone
>> who won't eat it is a "butt****".....

> Well, I won't go quite that far, but it is pretty stupid to ask how it
> affects everyone else.
>
> "Hi. I'm a dolt. If I eat a food that makes almost everyone of the
> homo sapien species crap like an Ex-Lax lab rat, will I be adversely
> affected"?

Dolt, Butt**** - They're pretty much interchangeable. No?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:39:34 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:

> Enjoy some raw candlenuts while you're at it -- a favorite Scout prank
> in Hawaii.

Candlenuts, like blowfish liver, are actually toxic in the medical
sense. At least that is my understanding from reading Indonesian
books.

Whereas escolar, like Olestra is considered harmless. They are
not toxic.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:43:55 -0700, gtr wrote:

> We just had a long tedious battle over it a couple of months ago when I
> first got here. Many don't want to try it or have tried it, but still
> don't want to eat it. Then there's those like swertz who thinks anyone
> who won't eat it is a "butt****" among other enlightening views.

Oh, and don't think for a minute that I, Mr. Observant and Sock
Puppet Tracker, didn't notice your use of "swertz", preceded by
your claim that 'you just arrived here in RFC a few months ago'.

That thread was only 5 weeks ago. and if you were new here you
would have called me "sqwertz", not "swertz" - which is only used
by old-timers and very rarely.

You've been here quite a while. Who were you previously?

I wonder how people morph just to find out that even after 4
years, nobody has asked, "What every happened to so-and-so?"

-sw

Escolar James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 106 11-05-2010 08:52 PM
Escolar James Silverton[_4_] Sushi 68 29-04-2010 04:44 PM
White Tuna (Escolar) Norman Leonski Sushi 46 05-05-2006 08:03 PM
ESCOLAR FISH WITH MANGO AND SHRIMP RAVIOLI yankeegirL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 06:24 AM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 18-03-2005 11:22 PM