Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Lest we forget...

On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:16:22 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>Saying "This coming Monday" is not the same as saying "This Monday"
>>(which was 5 days ago). "Next Monday" is 2 days from now.

> In my exposure to the language, "This Monday" can mean eather
> the most recent Monday in the past, or the closest Monday in
> the future. The verb tense in the surrounding sentence will
> tell you which.

really? 'this monday' seems to me to be the one approaching. the most
recent monday in the past would be 'last monday' or 'this last monday.'
english can be subtle, but not so in this case.

> What's more ambiguous is "Next Monday", which can mean either of
> the following two Mondays to many people.

huh? 'next monday' is, um, the next monday that occurs.

don't force me to call a lawyer.

your pal,
blake