Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default Saturated fat for tamale dough

piedmont wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 09:50:14 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> I had been assuming that if I make a tamale dough, I'd have to use a
>> saturated fat like lard or Crisco. I've eaten a few of the Trader Joe's

> snip
>
> Mark,
> IMHO there is a big difference between crisco and lard. supposedly crisco
> which is hydrolyzed packs on 4 time the fat as an equal amount of lard.
> If you can find non-hydrolyzed lard use that.

You may mean hydrogenated. At any rate, there's no way it's got four
times the fat. Four times the saturates, I'd buy, but saturated fat
doesn't actually have more fat in it than non-saturated. 100% fat is
100% fat.

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their