Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_10_] dsi1[_10_] is offline

Default Exploding water in microwave

On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>

> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
sure you try this at home kids! :-)