Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Eddie Eddie is offline

Default Need new smoker --- FAQ/Review site?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:06:37 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >

>> My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
>> completely rusted out.

Mine lasted about 1 year. Didn't rust out or anything like that. I
just found a better smoker.

>> I am in the market for a new smoker.
>>
>> Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?
>>
>> I would like to understand better the pros and cons
>> of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

>Cons: cost
>Pros: everything else exceptbeing large enough to do a whole hog.
>
>I highly recommend ceramic pits. Stay away from the Kamado brand. The Big
>Green Egg, the Komodo-Kamado (extreme high end), the Primo (one model is
>oval for extra capacity and it is American made), the Grill Dome..... all
>should perform similarly well.

I've had my Kamado for about 15 years and have used it a hundred or so
times and I have had absolutely no problems with it. No problems with
the hardware or the smoker itself. All I do is occasionally dab a
little vegetable oil on the top damper. That's it.
I've smoked in all types of weather and mostly use well seasoned
apricot and cherry wood. I have the textured version as it's cheaper
than the ones that have the tile. When my K7 is going full blast one
can touch the dome and feel very little heat. That's the problem with
steel. Lot of heat loss.
As for room, I can smoke a turkey, a couple of chickens and lots of
ribs by using the special adapter that allows to have two levels. You
do have to have two grilles however.
I wouldn't have any other smoker.
As for cost, I bought mine when it was on sale, so saved quite a bit.
Ahall, if you go to their site, check out if they have any specials
going on.
Eddie
ps, don't plan to move it around too much. Mine weighed in at around
400 lbs with the crate.