Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

Default Need new smoker --- FAQ/Review site?

My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

If I go with another offset, I would like one that made
a better seal than the NB in which the smoking barrel leaked
a bit of air, making it hard to maintain very low temps.

This will be a dedicated smoker, I do my grilling on
a weber...

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.food.barbecue...)

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message

My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

If I go with another offset, I would like one that made
a better seal than the NB in which the smoking barrel leaked
a bit of air, making it hard to maintain very low temps.

snip
--
Andrew Hall

No one can really tell what to get, if you are comfortable with the offset,
you may want to stay with what you know. Most cookers 'leak' but most folks
seal the gaps with high temperature silicon, it's colored red. This includes
the door, have you tried it yet? Going with an egg limits the amount of meat
you can cook compared to an offset.

--
regards, piedmont (Mike)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Old 13-04-2010, 12:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

Dave Bugg writes:

Dave wrote:
My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

Dave Cons: cost
Dave Pros: everything else exceptbeing large enough to do a whole hog.

How about being able to use whole logs in the fire? I believe the
fire pits on the eggs will hold chunks of wood, is that true?

Dave I highly recommend ceramic pits. Stay away from the Kamado brand. The Big

What is wrong with the Kamado brand (assuming you mean:
http://www.kamado.com)

Dave Green Egg, the Komodo-Kamado (extreme high end), the Primo (one model is

Whoa, that is high end.

Do you know any sites with detailed reviews and comparisons?

Dave oval for extra capacity and it is American made), the Grill Dome..... all
Dave should perform similarly well.

I will check them out. The vender websites I have checked out do not have
a whole lot of detail (Green Egg, Kamado and now komodo-kamado) so it is hard
for me to compare.

As I plan to use my next smoker as long as I can light a fire, cost is not a
very big concern. If the Komodo-Kamado is significantly better than the Kamado
or others, I would be willing to pay the premium...

Thanks,

Old 13-04-2010, 02:14 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
Dave Bugg writes:

Dave
wrote:
My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

Dave Cons: cost
Dave Pros: everything else exceptbeing large enough to do a whole
hog.

How about being able to use whole logs in the fire?

How about it?

I believe the fire pits on the eggs will hold chunks of wood, is that
true?

Lump charcoal and large chunks of wood are what I use.

Dave I highly recommend ceramic pits. Stay away from the Kamado
brand. The Big

What is wrong with the Kamado brand (assuming you mean:
http://www.kamado.com)

Shifty practices by the CEO, poor to non-existent customer service, inferior
production and materials, leaving town and leaving workers and creditors
holding the bag. Do you want more? BTW, I own a Kamado #7, which I am happy
with, but it was more a matter of serendipity than by good business
practices of Kamado.

As to the rest of your reply, I cannot easily see what it is that you've
said vs. what I have said, and what it is that you wish for me to further
answer. Sorry, but your quoting style is too tedious to wade through.

--
Dave

Old 13-04-2010, 03:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

Dave Bugg writes:

Dave wrote:
Dave Bugg writes:

Dave
wrote:
My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

Dave Cons: cost
Dave Pros: everything else exceptbeing large enough to do a whole
hog.

How about being able to use whole logs in the fire?

Dave How about it?

I believe the fire pits on the eggs will hold chunks of wood, is that
true?

Dave Lump charcoal and large chunks of wood are what I use.

Dave I highly recommend ceramic pits. Stay away from the Kamado
brand. The Big

What is wrong with the Kamado brand (assuming you mean:

http
www.kamado.com)

Dave Shifty practices by the CEO, poor to non-existent customer service, inferior
Dave production and materials, leaving town and leaving workers and creditors
Dave holding the bag. Do you want more? BTW, I own a Kamado #7, which I am happy
Dave with, but it was more a matter of serendipity than by good business
Dave practices of Kamado.

Thanks.

Dave As to the rest of your reply, I cannot easily see what it is that you've
Dave said vs. what I have said, and what it is that you wish for me to further
Dave answer. Sorry, but your quoting style is too tedious to wade through.

Dave --
Dave Dave
Dave What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
Dave you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

What you said has "Dave" in front of it. What I said
has some number of ""'s in front of it.

Mainly I would like to find more reviews of the individual machines, with a lot
of detail about construction and use. The KK site had a link to a 2006 review that
gave me a pretty good idea about their machine, which sounds really wonderful. But
it is old, and the new machines cost double what the reviewed one did, so it is a bit
confusing about what has changed.

I think I am pretty much sold on the "ceramic" cookers, but I want to be careful about
which one I chose.

Thanks.

Old 13-04-2010, 03:28 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote

If I go with another offset, I would like one that made
a better seal than the NB in which the smoking barrel leaked
a bit of air, making it hard to maintain very low temps.

If you are ready to move up to a really good offset and trade in a Yugo for
a Cadillac, . www.bbqpits.com has many designs to offer.

I've never used the ceramic cooker, but I have used brick. That is my first
choice for a pit if you have a permanent spot for one.

Old 13-04-2010, 03:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

These are about the best offset pit you can buy. I'm sure you
could spend more somewhere, but you won't get more for
your money.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/ (Tejas Smokers)

http://www.bbqpits.com/ (Klose Smokers)

I've been using a NB Silver smoker since 2003 and it has served
me well. It has a lot of years left in it, but this is the pit I have my
sights set on;

http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/2040cdet.htm

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 13-04-2010, 03:42 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:06:37 -0700, "Dave Bugg"

My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

Mine lasted about 1 year. Didn't rust out or anything like that. I
just found a better smoker.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

Cons: cost
Pros: everything else exceptbeing large enough to do a whole hog.

I highly recommend ceramic pits. Stay away from the Kamado brand. The Big
Green Egg, the Komodo-Kamado (extreme high end), the Primo (one model is
oval for extra capacity and it is American made), the Grill Dome..... all
should perform similarly well.

I've had my Kamado for about 15 years and have used it a hundred or so
times and I have had absolutely no problems with it. No problems with
the hardware or the smoker itself. All I do is occasionally dab a
little vegetable oil on the top damper. That's it.
I've smoked in all types of weather and mostly use well seasoned
apricot and cherry wood. I have the textured version as it's cheaper
than the ones that have the tile. When my K7 is going full blast one
can touch the dome and feel very little heat. That's the problem with
steel. Lot of heat loss.
As for room, I can smoke a turkey, a couple of chickens and lots of
ribs by using the special adapter that allows to have two levels. You
do have to have two grilles however.
I wouldn't have any other smoker.
As for cost, I bought mine when it was on sale, so saved quite a bit.
Ahall, if you go to their site, check out if they have any specials
going on.
Eddie
ps, don't plan to move it around too much. Mine weighed in at around
400 lbs with the crate.

Old 13-04-2010, 04:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 12, 7:36*pm, "Brick" wrote:
These are about the best offset pit you can buy. I'm sure you
could spend more somewhere, but you won't get more for
your money.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/*(Tejas Smokers)

Have lost my links, but there's (only) about 4-6 different companies
along the lines of Tejas. Oklahoma Joe(?) Tejas, a few others out
there.

http://www.bbqpits.com/*(Klose Smokers)

Good stuff, probably 20% overpriced, but in some cases there aint no
competition, as with my Grill + side firebox for BBQ. Nobody else
makes one. Such an easy thing too.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/2040cdet.htm

If those dummies would put a coal grate for grilling in the (deeper)
cooking chamber I probably would have their product.

What's getting me is the guy want a dedicated BBQ and is looking at
Komado-Kamado which are great for grilling too. Not that that's a
problem, but they are great grills and would probably replace what
he's using.
Old 13-04-2010, 04:46 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Eddie wrote:

I've had my Kamado for about 15 years and have used it a hundred or so
times and I have had absolutely no problems with it. No problems with
the hardware or the smoker itself.

So? I have one as well and have had no problems with it. And then I learned
Richards background, his unethical and immoral approach to business, the
large number of customers he has left hanging, the HUGE number of
complaints, and his other problems and near problems with the law. I
consider myself lucky that I wasn't a victim. Just because I happended to
come out on top doesn't mean that I would recommend anyone do business with
such scum.
--
Dave

Old 13-04-2010, 06:00 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

n Apr 12, 9:46 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:

So? I have one as well and have had no problems with it. And then I learned
Richards background, his unethical and immoral approach to business, the
large number of customers he has left hanging, the HUGE number of
complaints, and his other problems and near problems with the law. I
consider myself lucky that I wasn't a victim. Just because I happended to
come out on top doesn't mean that I would recommend anyone do business with
such scum.

I remember when all of that business was going on. Apparently he
screwed A LOT of folks. I remember when I read about his shenanigans
on many different forums, and most folks wouldn't spit on him if he
was on fire they we so ****ed off at him. All for the reasons you
stated.

Yeah, by chance you may get a good product. But what if you don't?
And at those prices? Why take a chance when there are so many other
good products out there?

Robert
Old 13-04-2010, 12:17 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:06:37 -0700, "Dave Bugg"

My 20 year old New Braunfels offset smoker finally
completely rusted out.

I am in the market for a new smoker.

Can you recommend some good sites with reviews?

I would like to understand better the pros and cons
of the Kamato style eggs vs the offset firebox types.

Cons: cost
Pros: everything else exceptbeing large enough to do a whole hog.

I highly recommend ceramic pits. Stay away from the Kamado brand. The Big
Green Egg, the Komodo-Kamado (extreme high end), the Primo (one model is
oval for extra capacity and it is American made), the Grill Dome..... all
should perform similarly well.

What do you all think about the smokers offered at
http://www.thebbqguru.com/ ?
They also offer power draft controls? I've been thinking about these
for a while.

uk wine review site John T Wine 0 12-10-2008 05:09 PM
Tea Review site Justin Holmes Tea 7 03-02-2006 06:37 PM
Danny Gaulden's Big Drum Smoker Review Rocky Barbecue 21 14-12-2005 06:38 PM
New NON Biaased wine review site nomerlot.com General 0 12-07-2005 01:17 AM
New Brewpub review site John & Linda Rokosz Beer 35 27-09-2004 12:50 AM